The most valuable and interesting articles in week #16 2018
Strength Training Articles
- How Reflective Practice Improved My Coaching, what reflective practice is, why it is important and different tools to use for your reflective practice.
- Developing Psychological Traits that Enhance Physical Qualities a thought-provoking piece outlining 12 psychological traits for developing sporting excellence.
Dr. John Rusin outlined The Performance Recovery System a really good article outlining the importance of different variables for optimizing recovery, as well as describing the hierarchy of importance of these variables.
The Bar Bend outlined
- Effective Training: Make Every Rep Count discussing what makes an effective rep, the relation between effective reps and training to failure, and an outline how to effectively plan a training cycle.
- 3 Benefits of Unilateral Exercises for Powerlifting why we humans are asymmetrical in nature, a definition of unilateral and the benefits of unilateral training.
- Cluster Sets: What They Are, How to Use Them, and Their Benefits a great article about Cluster sets, a recommendation for the rest periods depending on training goal (strength, power & hypertrophy), as well as the number of repetitions based on training goal.
- the benefits of the Bent-over Row and variations of the Bent-over Row for strength and size in the article The Fourth Powerlift: Your Gateway To Massive Gains also check out the tutorial Twan van Gendt and I did about pulling movements, including variations of the Bent-over Row
- How to Test Your 1 Rep Max, a good outline of the process of how to test your 1 RM. Check it out
- How to create a training program as a beginner in the video Beginner’s Guide to Creating Your Own Training Program, a bit lengthy, but definitely good information. Check it out
T-Nation shared Thibaudeau’s Simple Fat Loss Strategies, strictly speaking, these are more tactics rather than a strategy, check out my article on Linkedin, explaining the difference between strategy and tactics, however, still very valuable tactics, that can help in this article from T-Nation.
Jeff Nippard discussed How To Use CREATINE To Build Muscle: Loading, Timing & Hair Loss? (Science Explained), what Creatine is, how it works, discussing loading periods to achieve saturation, how much strength increase you can expect, responders and non-responders and does it accelerate hair loss or not. Check it out
Speed Training Articles
Stack listed 5 Training Mistakes Slowing Down the Progress of Youth Soccer Players good points and not only applicable to soccer players.
Olympic Lifting Articles
Stack explained The Secret to Jumping Higher Without Any Jump Training is Olympic Weightlifting. What it does and how to effectively learn it (for athletes that have to jump).
Dimitry Klokov shared a video, how he Hang Snatched 200 kg at the Fibo in Cologne, check it out
Juggernaut Training Systems explained the Scientific Principles of Weightlifting | Phase Potentiation, what Phase Potentiation is, how to structure the GP (general phase), the Strength Phase and the Peaking Phase, how to sequence the phases for your benefit, how to balance fitness and fatigue and the misapplication, that can harm the potentiation effect of the different phases. Check it out
Check out the video, that has been popular across the web. Weightlifter Murakami squats 360 kg, the squat seems to be easier for him, than walking with the bar
Starting Strength explained The Squat – Upper Back Position how to set your upper back to support the bar optimally in the Back Squat, check it out
T-Nation shared a Tip: From Block Pull to Deadlift a few athletes do struggle to get the start position right, for those athletes, the variation from an elevated position, such as the blocks, can be very helpful.
Juggernaut Training Systems shared Sumo Pillar #3 | Tightness in the Start Position, how to use breathing and bracing for tightness in the start position, activating the lats and taking the slack out of the bar. Check it out