Article recommendations week #52 2018
The most valuable and interesting articles in week #52 2018
Strength Training Articles
Fitness & Power listed the Top 8 Compound Lifts for Maximum Size and Strength, all about the fundamental movements, push, pull, squat and bend.
Jeff Nippard shared
- How To Build Huge Triceps with Optimal Training Technique, outlining the muscular anatomy of the triceps, and the influence on exercise execution, muscular activation, technical consideration and execution, and common errors and technical flaws, and how to fix those. Check it out
The Bar Bend outlined
- the results of a study on rest-pause sets, and the effectiveness on rest-pause sets if you are short on time in the article Low on Time? Why Rest-Pause Training Gets You Strong Faster.
- How to Approach Strength Training During Menopause (And Why You Should), what the menopause is, how it affects the hormonal environment and training considerations, as well as recovery considerations.
Starting Strength described The Press Prescription with Dr. Jonathon Sullivan, the importance of the Overhead Press, benefits of the Overhead Press, the correct technical execution and typical flaws during the Overhead Press. Check it out
T-Nation shared a Tip: Range of Motion – Trickier Than You Think why the range of motion is important, and how the application of heavy partials can add an additional stimulus.
Shrugged Collective explained How to Build a Steel Spine and Massive Back using Pendlay Rows, what Pendlay rows are, the unique benefits of the Pendlay row, and different Pendlay row variations. Check it out
The PTDC demanded Teach Your Clients Well, the importance of manners and rules for coaches, as well as owners of any type of fitness facility.
Juggernaut Training discussed Determining Phase Length and Proportion, outlining the length of different mesocycles, the total length of phases depending on the individual demands of the athlete, discussing hypertrophy phases, strength phases and peaking phases, and how to mix phases and train different qualities at the same time. Check it out
Stack outlined the importance of the Glute Ham Raise (GHR), and the different GHR variations in the article Why Every Athlete Should Know and Love the GHR.
Elite FTS explained
- How to Train While Working a Physical Job — Create Your Program, working in a physically taxing job can be challenging, this article offers a 7-step outline to optimize your work-train balance.
- Why Joe Sullivan Doesn’t Do Conjugate, discussing the different considerations when deciding what training method you should be using. There’s no one-size-fits-all, check it out
- Top 5 Movements with the SS Yoke Bar, the importance of the correct design of the Yoke bar, and exercise variations, like squat, good mornings, back extensions, and single-legged variations. Check it out
Simplifaster shared the second part of an interview with Jamie Smith about Exercise Predictability, Isometrics, & Partial Reps interesting views on the necessity of unpredictability, and how to incorporate it in the training program, the benefits of isometrics and partial reps, and where to place them in your training and training considerations for youth athletes.
The Sport Scientists shared another Q & A, answering questions on neck training, supplementation, training frequencies, training motivation, and deloads for cutting. Next, to that, these guys are having a good time, and discuss fun topics. If you share their humor it’s probably funny, if not, you have to sort through the clutter to find the interesting discussions. Check it out
Shrugged Collective explained Where Does Fat Go When You Lose It, an interesting chat on the role of molecules, and the effect of different dosages. Check it out
Renaissance Periodization shared The RP Diet 2.0 | Chapter 2| Calorie Balance, explaining what a calorie is, the importance of calorie balance for weight loss and weight gain, and discussing the question, if you can gain muscles and loose weight at the same time. Check it out
Plyometric Training Articles
Stack explained How Assisted Jumps Make You a Better Athlete (and Why You Don’t Need Bands to Perform Them) the variables that influence jump height, the principle of overspeed training, and the application of overspeed training to increase your vertical jump.
Olympic Lifting Articles
Catalystathletics explained How To Stay Over The Bar In The Snatch & Clean the importance of staying over the bar, the correct movement pattern, and exercises to train to stay over the bar. Also, check out the additional explainer video
Juggernaut Training discussed
- Alyssa Ritchey’s 105kg Clean & Jerk Analysis, an in-depth technique analysis. Worth checking out
- Alyssa’s Training Adjustments, the training adaptations, that have led to the result showcased in the previous video. Always interesting to see, coaches interpretations and resulting training interventions. Check it out
The Bar Bend showcased Powerlifter Vlad Alhazov Squats 525kg (1157lbs) Raw with Wraps check out this incredible feat of strength
Starting Strength showcased their way of coaching the squat in the snippet of a Starting Strength Seminar where Rippetoe Coaches The Squat. Check it out and decide yourself whether you agree with this style or not
Alan Thrall explained the correct set-up for the Deadlift, as well as do’s and don’ts. Check it out