Article recommendations week #51 2017
We have searched the web for the most valuable and interesting articles of week #51 2017
Strength Training Articles
Catalystathletics explained How to Pick the Right Warm-up Weights outlining common mistakes in the warm-up for bigger lifts and using the example of 3 Olympic Weightlifters, how they used to warm-up for their record attempts. In addition to that, I have shared in last weeks article recommendation the warm-up of Lasha Talakhadze for his 220 kg Snatch world record (16 warm-up sets!), check it out if you have missed it
These successful athletes do a lot of warm-up sets for their big lifts and set records. You probably need a few more warm-up sets with very technical lifts like the Snatch, however, the examples indicate, that you need multiple warm-up sets.
- the benefits of Eccentric Overload with Flywheel Training and Rehabilitation an in-depth article discussing the physiological basis for the Flywheel technology and practical training application.
- strategies for Building a Team Culture to Prepare Athletes for Sport and Life
Bach Performance described the importance of aligning your rest periods with your training goals Rest Your Way To Massive Muscle Growth
Breaking Muscle explained Why Strength Still Matters In The Modern World describing the evolution of strength & fitness and how we are experiencing a lack of fitness each year and the detrimental results.
Following up on the same note Starting Strength discussed Force Production – The defining aspect of your physical existence, the simplicity of what force production is, who needs adequate force production and why, and how to apply the understanding to your training. Check it out
Train Heroic listed
- 8 Ways To Individualize Your Online Training Programs the importance of going the extra mile to set yourself apart from the competition.
- 5 Ways To Reduce Injury Risk In Team Sports Training simple and solid advice from the former S & Coach of the All Blacks.
The Barbell Physio shared The Truth About Kipping Pull-Ups discussing what Kipping Pull-ups are, whether Kipping Pull-Ups are safe and how to progress your Kipping Pull-Up.
Jason Blaha Fitness discussed Let’s Talk About Height, Weight & Relative Strength Standards sharing his thoughts on strength standard’s charts advantages over bodyweight multipliers. Check it out
The Bar Bend followed up on last week’s article Glute Ham Raises – Muscles Worked, Exercise Demo, and Benefits with
- 4 Benefits of Glute Ham Raises detailing muscular development, posterior chain activation and transfer to sports performance.
- Glute Ham Raise vs Back Extension the differences between the two and the benefits of each exercise.
Stack explained How to Use Resistance Bands to Supercharge Your Workouts the use of Accommodating Resistance Training and its benefits.
Muscle Evo discussed Is 5×5 a Good Way to Put on Muscle? what 5 x 5 is and discussing the benefits of 5 x 5 on strength development and gaining size.
Elite FTS listed 7 Special Exercises To Build Your Main Lifts outlining effective exercises to improve the Bench Press, Squat and Deadlift.
Juggernaut Training Systems listed the Top 5 Strength Stories of 2017 interesting talk, check it out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Elite FTS discussed Programming for Athletes — The Youth Athlete: Grades 1-3, Ages 6-9 outlining the importance of Fundamental Movement Skills and how to apply those to the youth training program.
The Poliquin Group listed 6 Post-workout Nutrition Strategies To Lower Your Cortisol & Improve Recovery simple strategies to implement into your daily routines.
Breaking Muscle outlined
- DIY Meal Planning an 8 step approach to do your own meal plan.
- Crack The Code Of Your Metabolism what metabolism and metabolic rate are and how to influence it.
- Glycolysis And Metabolic Optimization: Workout Strategies To Get The Most From Your Metcon discussing pre-workout, during the workout and post-workout nutrition.
Picture Fit asked Can You Have Too Much Protein? discussing the recommended protein intake and looking at the research of the negative impact of protein on your health and how much is too much?
Power Training Articles
Stack explained how to Jump Higher and Run Faster With These 5 Trap Bar Exercises using different trap bar variations to improve power development.
Olympic Lifting Articles
Catalystathletics shared their thought on how to deal with chronic tendonitis and weak elbows due to dislocations and fractures in the article Ask Greg: Improving Elbow Stability & Eliminating Pain
The Bar Bend explained
- 4 Underrated Accessory Exercises for Weightlifters asking 4 weightlifting coaches on their advice on what they think are the most underrated accessory exercise.
- the Muscle Clean – Muscles Worked, Exercise Demo, and Benefits what the Muscle Clean is, muscular activation and how to use it in your training program.
- why the hang position below the knee a better training exercise for Olympic Weightlifters in the article Should Weightlifters Do Hang Movements from Above or Below the Knee?
T-Nation shared a Tip: A Very Different Way to Deadlift using a combination of Deadlifts, rotation and press. What I like about the movement, that it combines multiple fundamental movements and works in different planes of motion. The drawback, due to increased coordinative demands, you need to sacrifice loading. Check it out
Stack explained how to Build the Perfect Deadlift: 7 Expert Coaches Share Their Favorite Cue interesting cues to check out, however, not all cues are created equal, some are better than others.
Highlights of the Week
We saw some more impressive PB’s from some of our young guns, check out BMX rider Koen van der Wijst Snatching 100 kg
and BMX rider Justin Kimman Front Squatting 170 kg