The most valuable and interesting articles in week #50 2018
Strength Training Articles
Bodybuilding.com asked HIIT VS Steady State: Which Cardio is Best? a discussion on the pro’s and con’s of high-intensity training and steady state, as well as important considerations for your training planning. Check it out
Men’s Health discussed
- What You Need to Know Before Trying CrossFit, a good read for anyone wanting to know the basics of Crossfit.
- How to Do Perfect Burpees, 4 key points to keep in mind.
Simplifaster shared The Pragmatist’s Approach to Strength and Conditioning a really interesting and a bit of philosophical piece, good read.
Jeff Nippard explained How To Build a Thick Back With Perfect Rowing Technique with the Pendlay Row, outlining muscular activation, weight benchmarks, technical consideration and execution, and common errors and technical flaws, and how to fix those. Check it out
Elite FTS shared
- a simplistic approach to planning your training, using common sense and sound planning principles in the article The Simplicity Project
- Dave Tate and Joe Sullivan Discuss Deloading, what a deload is, the importance of the deload, how people trick themselves in a deload and end up sabotaging themselves. Check it out
Swim Swam listed The 5 Benefits Of Swim-Specific Strength Based Training a really good outline of the purpose and benefit of strength training for swimmers.
Bret Contreras outlined All About the Leg Press, a basic outline of how to use the leg press, different foot positions to alter muscular activation, bi-lateral vs uni-lateral leg pressing, and set & rep variations. Check it out
Shrugged Collective outlined How Much Sleep Do You Need, next to the importance of sleep, they share habits and strutures to get enough sleep, and the benefits of structurally planned short-term sleep deprivation. Check it out
Juggernaut Training gave an insight into training planning and the thought process behind the planning in the video Systems Chad’s A.I. Coaching Log | Week 3. Check it out
Shrugged Collective discussed Caffeine, Adderall, and Stimulants for Increased Performance, how to structure the supplementation for maximized performance, and common pitfalls when using stimulants. Check it out
Plyometric Training Articles
Olympic Lifting Articles
Zack Telander released The Jerk: Optimizing the Stretch Shortening Cycle, what the Stretch-shortening Cycle (SSC) is, the history of the SSC, the mechanical model behind the SSC and how to optimize the SSC for the Jerk. Check it out
- a Tip: The Deadlift – How to Add Bands why and how to add bands to your deadlifts. Check out the additional explainer video
- a Tip: Get Your Weight Back on the Deadlift, the weight distribution during the deadlift. Check out the explainer video
- a Tip: Stop Over-Cueing the Deadlift, I definitely agree with the point, that too much cueing or over-cueing can do more harm, than it does good. Check out 2 useful cues to teach the hinge and proper upper body position