The most valuable and interesting articles in week #5 2018
Strength Training Articles
Simplifaster asked Should Advanced Athletes Use the Barbell Hip Thrust? looking at the science on the effectiveness of the Barbell Hip Thrust, the research on muscular activation and viable alternatives to the Barbell Hip Thrust.
- followed up on last week’s article Unravelling The Mysteries Of Training Frequency For Hypertrophy with another article on how to stimulate muscular hypertrophy through increasing training volume The Benefit Of Increasing Training Volume For Hypertrophy outlining why an increase in training volume is beneficial for stimulating muscular hypertrophy, different options to increase training volume and a step-by-step outline to increase your training volume effectively.
- outlined why Every Program Needs Strength Training 3 reason, why you should implement strength training into your program, including an example program for beginners.
- discussed Flexibility Versus Mobility: What Do You Need? what is the difference between the two and what is right for your demands.
Train Heroic shared Primary Pattern Programming: A Simple System For Better Results how to design an effective strength training program by focussing on 4 fundamental movements, squat, hinge, push and pull. Also, check out the article about Fundamental Movements
Starting Strength explained Muscles, the Nervous System, and Mechanical advantage outlining the basics of how a muscle contract and get activated.
Elite FTS shared
- Moving Tips for Strength Coaches important considerations for coaches, who move locations. Well, I guess I could tell a story or two about myself moving from one country to another country.
- Bracing and the Hip Hinge the importance of correct bracing and correct hip hinging, and how to do it.
- Visualization for Powerlifting: How to Train Your Brain for Big Gains how visualization can help, the pro’s and con’s of visualization and how to practice visualization – not only for Powerlifting. Check out the video
The Bar Bend
- compared Jumping Pull-Ups vs Bands vs Ring Rows: Which Is Best for Your Goals? outlining the different variations and the benefits of each of the variations.
- explained everything you need to know about Chest to Bar Pull-Ups: Muscles Worked, Exercise Demo, and Benefits
Juggernaut Training Systems outlined Leg Drive & Bar Path in the Bench Press in the final part of the Bench Pillar #5 another great Bench tutorial explaining the relation between arch and ability to use a leg drive, as well as the arch and the resulting bar path. It’s not a one size fits all. Check it out
If you have missed one of the previous parts, check them out here.
Part 1: Bench Pillar #1 | Foot Placement & Pressure
Part 2: Bench Pillar #2 | Upper Back Positioning
Part 3: Bench Pillar #3 | Gripping the Bar
Part 4: Bench Pillar #4 | Breathing & Bar Placement
Muscle & Fitness listed
- 12 Bodybuilding Diet Tips To Build Muscle, not only applicable to Bodybuilders
- 7 Bodybuilding Diet Mistakes That Are Sabotaging Your Progress, same here, not only applicable to Bodybuilders
Picture Fit discussed
- What Eating BEHAVIOR Helps You Lose the Most Weight? the 3 behavior that help you to lose weight in the long run, and which behavior is the most important behavior, how to train this behavior and the best food choices to control these behaviors. Check it out
- Better GAINS with BAKING SODA? | QuickFIT #1, how baking soda can help, which activities baking soda can help, and which ones not. Check it out
- a Tip: Diet Is Not More Important Than Training busting the common misbelief, that nutrition is more important than training. The article quotes Dorian Yates, but I also remember a very common-sense analogy he used in one of his books, which goes something like this ‘imagine 2 bodybuilders, one puts 30% emphasis on training and 70% emphasis on nutrition, and the other one puts 70% emphasis on training and 30% emphasis on nutrition. Who will make more gains?’
- The Right Diet for Your Personality Type a really interesting approach to personality types and how the personality can influence decision-making, as well as dietary recommendations for the different personality types.
Shredded by Science explained Why You Aren’t Building Muscle, a Video For ‘Hard Gainers’, discussing if hard gainers really exist and what usually is the real reason, why people build muscles. Check it out
Plyometric Training Articles
Olympic Lifting Articles
- Does Weightlifting Attract Hardcore Personalities… Or Develop Them? the chicken-and-egg-question, do tough personalities chose for weightlifting sports (Olympic Weightlifting, Powerlifting and Bodybuilding), or do weightlifting sports create these personalities?
- how to improve your overhead strength, if your overhead strength is lacking compared to your lower body strength in the article Ask Greg: Improving Overhead Strength & Stability I like the fact, that it all starts with a thorough analysis.
- Why We Turn The Feet Out In The Pull listing 3 benefits of turning the feet out in the Olympic Lifts
The Barbell Physio demonstrated Push Press Technique – Insights Into Athletic Ability a quick run-down on the technical key points of the Push Press, check out the video
Elite FTS discussed different variations of the Split Squat and how the shin angle changes muscular activation and ability to exert force in the article The Split Squat, Its Variations, and Why Shin Angle Trumps All
T-Nation shared a Tip: Are Overhead Squats Right For You? when you should consider doing Overhead Squats, and when the Overhead Squat is not the right exercise choice for you. It’s all about the goal you want to achieve.
Juggernaut Training Systems described their Hypertrophy Guide for Quads, discussing training volume, training intensity, training frequency, exercise selection, important considerations, such as ROM (range of motion) and the use of special techniques and intensification techniques. Check it out