The most valuable and interesting articles in week #48 2018
Strength Training Articles
Broscience explained How Many Sets and Reps for My Exercise Goal? Get Faster Results, an in-depth article on different rep and set schemes, based on the results you want to achieve.
PictureFit asked Do We Need to Cooldown After Exercise? What a cooldown is, what the research says about cool-downs and practical application fo cool-downs. Check it out
Men’s Health listed
- 4 Signs You’re Losing Muscle, Not Fat how to analyze subjective signs, whether you are progressing, or regressing.
- the benefits of the German volume training, how to apply it and how to design the training sessions in the article How to Use German Volume Training to Crush Your Workouts
Aleksey Torokhtiy demonstrated the Top 4: Hyperextension Tips (without weights), check out the selection of band-resisted, band assisted and multi-directional hyperextensions
Elite FTS explained
- How to Identify the Real-Deal Experts, providing criteria and questions to inquire, whether one is an expert or not.
- Bench Press Warm-Up, some interesting cues for the Bench Press, as well as some useful mobility drills. Check it out
- some not so common, but definitely valuable tips for designing and programming supersets in the article Create Better Supersets With These 5 Tips.
- Why Athletes Need ‘Movement Variability,’ and How Coaches Can Deliver It, what movement variability is, and how to apply it to your training practice.
Shrugged Collective demonstrated the technical key points of One Armed Rows, variations of the one arm bent-over row, and programming considerations for the one arm row. Check it out
- a Tip: Sleep Hard, Play Harder presenting studies showing the relation between sleep and performance in athletes across different sports.
- 9 Hacks for Streamlining Your Workouts, a true 80/20 approach of cutting the nice to do’s and focus on the need to do’s.
- The Ultimate Minimalist Training Plan, a piece on the minimal effective dose applied to strength training programs, including some example programs.
Eric Cressey explained How to Apply the Joint-by-Joint Approach to the Elbow, the anatomy at work during a throwing movement, check out the explainer video
Juggernaut Training Systems shared Finding Your MRV, explaining the concept of MRV (maximum recoverable volume), considerations affecting MRV, rep & set ranges depending on the exercise, and workout examples for different training goals. Check it out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Shrugged Collective explained What to Eat to Gain Muscle, why gaining muscle mass is not exclusively about macro-nutrient quantity. Check it out
Bodybuilding.com shared Creatine Explained: Myths & Science, a Q & A about the most common questions revolving around creatine and creatine use (dosage, cycling, safety and contamination, etc). Check it out
Plyometric Training Articles
Stack explained how to Boost Your Athletic ‘Elasticity’ With This Depth Jump Variation, using hurdles as an additional tool for the depth jump. That can be used for training or field testing. We use depth jumps over hurdles often, check out the training impression from Track Cyclist, and World Champion 2018 Nils van’t Hoenderdal
The Bar Bend shared Powerlifter Vlad Alhazov Squats a Superhuman 525kg, an impressive feat of strength. Check out the video
View this post on Instagram
I m doing again !!!#powerliftingmotivation @powerliftingmotivation #bench #squat #ilovesquats #deadlift #benchpress #howmuchyabench #fatpowerlifter #bodybuilding #crossfit #strength #strongman #conditioning #powerful #motivation #strength #strong #thatbackthough #weights #fitspo #fitspiration #rawpowerlifting #thatbarflextho #fitness #fitnessmotivation @powerliftinglol #swolfie #gymlife@forsakenwarrior @dimitarsavatinovstrong @zahirkhudayarov @pioneer_fit
Olympic Lifting Articles
Catalystathletics outlined Olympic Weightlifting Squat Position by showcasing the squat position during the Olympic Lifts. Check it out
Zack Telander shared an interesting piece on body dimensions and it’s influence on body position and relates it back to appropriate footwear in the video Is Gud Shoe : Why Toshiki Yamamoto Snatches in CrossFit Shoes. Check it out