The most valuable and interesting articles in week #46 2018
Strength Training Articles
Elite FTS outlined
- the Minimal Effective Dose and the Search for Magic Bullets another great article from Ashley Jones, on program design, exercise selection, and exercise sequencing.
- The Intent of Recovery, what recovery is and the goal of recovery, as well as practical advice to maximize recovery.
Bodybuilding.com listed 10 Mechanical Dropsets for Muscle Gain, the definition of mechanical drop sets, how they work and a selection Mechanical Dropsets for different muscle groups. Also, check out my article on T-Nation Tip: Do This 3-Squat Drop Set.
Dr. John Rusin explained why you need to Stop Icing Your Injuries: Why Heat Is The New Ice an overview of when to use ice, and when to use heat, and a detailed explanation of the different processes induced by ice and heat.
Broscience discussed the importance of Grip Strength: How to Improve Grip Strength FAST! What grip strength is, different types of grip strength, muscular activation, and the right exercise selection.
Stack listed The Five Essential Movements for Building Athletic Strength, the importance of the fundamental movements, hinge/bend, squat, press, pull for athletic development.
Simplifaster released an interview with Dr. Mark Kovac on Rotational Sports Performance and Resiliency outlining the importance of strength and power through different planes on the example of tennis, how to understand kinematics and apply it to the training program design and different aspects and considerations on injury prevention.
Aleksey Torokhtiy argued that Vitamin D is the most important vitamin for athletes and backing it up with research data in the article Vitamin D – The Most Important Vitamin For Athletes.
All Things Gym shared Lu Xiaojun 255kg Squat Session 2018 World Championships Training Hall, if you like to see big lifts, check out the videos
Shrugged Collective outlined the purpose of Intentional Quarter Squats, Quarter Squats are often frowned upon, however, you shouldn’t throw out the baby with the bathwater, and look at the benefits Quarter Squats can offer to your training.
This video does a good job of explaining the benefits and how to integrate it into your program to reap those benefits. Check it out
Check out how we are using Quarter Squats in our training.
BMX Supercross rider Dave van der Burg Quarter Squatting 270 kg
Or BMX Supercross rider Twan van Gendt Quarter Squatting with accommodating resistance
View this post on Instagram
220 kg #backsquat with bands from @twanvangendt 💪🏻 #strengthtraining #variableresistance #variableresistancetraining #accomodatingresistance #accomodatingresistancesquats #accomodatingresistancetraining #bmx #bmxracing #bmxsupercross #backsquats #bmxsupercross #strengthandconditioning #derkraftmeister
Olympic Lifting Articles
The Bar Bend shared
- Weightlifting Training for Football Players the benefits of Weightlifting for football players, the appropriate exercise selection, how to effectively combine weightlifting and upper body training and different sample programs for the off-season and in-season.
- The benefits and reasoning, why weightlifters should engage in unilateral training as well in the article Should Weightlifters Do Lunges/Split Squats?
Aleksey Torokhtiy outlined How to Practice Split Jerk, an interesting approach to learn the footwork of Split Jerk, to find balance and the right breathing pattern. Check it out
Zack Telander explained You Are Not Lu, the discussion if you should consider the Squat Jerk, and the criteria for you to decide, whether to Squat Jerk or not. Check it out
Alan Thrall explained the difference between the Stiff Leg Deadlift VS. Romanian Deadlift, the different movement patterns, which one to choose when and programming considerations. Check it out
I do like the video and Alan’s outline of origination of the RDL, the differences in execution and uses for the RDL and SL Deadlift, however, I have learned slightly distinct differences between the Stiff Leg Deadlift vs Romanian Deadlift and outlined the differences in the tutorial about the fundamental movements and the ‘bending pattern’.
- a Tip: Should You Deadlift Without Shoes? The benefits of lifting without shoes. Check the additional explainer video
- a Tip: Master the Double Kettlebell Deadlift, how kettlebells can help to learn the Deadlift in the initial stages due to higher coordinative demands. Check out the explainer video
Elite FTS listed 5 Deadlift Cues with Ed Coan, Ed Coan correcting during a seminar. Interesting cues and views to pick up. Check it out
Starting Strength outlined the benefits of The Deadlift Prescription with Dr. Jonathon Sullivan, how the Deadlift can help everyday people, the muscular activation and how to easily learn the Deadlift. Check it out