Article recommendations week #43 2018
The most valuable and interesting articles in week #43 2018
Strength Training Articles
The Bar Bend listed The 8 Most Common Bench Press Form Mistakes, the most common mistakes and how to correct them.
Complementary Training compared High Frequency vs. Low Frequency: New Research Blasts Through the Age-Old Strength and Muscle Myth outlining a study comparing high-frequency training and low-frequency training and its’effect on muscular hypertrophy, and describing the benefits of high-frequency training and low-frequency training.
Breaking Muscle expanded on a previous article on HIRT (high-intensity resistance training) with an article on the benefits of HIRT For Hypertrophy the mechanisms behind HIRT and programming considerations.
Dave Nippard discussed
- 7 Fitness Myths Completely Busted With Science, all about Cryotherapy, HIIT (high-intensity training), Keto Diet, Fresh Veggies vs Frozen Veggies, Apple Cider Vinegar and Alcohol and Fat Loss and the ever-present discussion ‘Should The Knees Go Past The Toes In The Squat’. Check it out
- Fast or Slow Reps for Muscle Growth? outlining scientific data on lifting tempo for muscular hypertrophy, explaining what lifting cadence is, and how to modulate the cadence and the influence of exercise type and your training goal influence the lifting tempo. Check it out
- a Tip: 4 Hamstring Exercises for Athletic Performance a selection of hamstring exercises for improved performance.
- a Tip: Sleep, Testosterone, and Insulin Sensitivity outlining the importance of sleep on your hormonal environment, and the effects of a lack of sleep.
Eric Cressey listed 3 Random Thoughts on Rotator Cuff Readiness an interesting approach of categorizing rotator cuff work, and thoughts on training frequency and training intensity.
Elite FTS outlined
- Max Effort Training for Dynamic Results, the importance of maximum strength for explosive sporting actions.
- How to Build a Mind-Muscle Connection, for those who are interested in muscular hypertrophy and maximising muscular gains, some tips to master the mind-muscle connection. Check out the additional explainer video
- Why Is Dave Tate So Angry? If you have seen any of Dave’s videos you can’t overlook that there is quite a bit of swearing in the videos. Here is the reason why
Torokhtiy shared Periodization Part 4 the importance of the transition period and a practical outline for the transition period for Olympic weightlifters.
Breaking Muscle explained how to change eating behaviour and eating patterns, and important actions to keep your nutrition and weight management on track in the article Don’t Think Of It As A Diet.
T-Nation shared a Tip: Meal Frequency and Muscle Gains a simple, but good outline, what it takes to build muscle mass, the importance of meal frequency and energy surplus.
Plyometric Training Articles
YLM Sports Science explained the Influence Of Force-Vector & Force Application Plyometric Training: An Example In Basketball presenting a study, where bilateral vertical training leads to greater improvements in the vertical jump than bilateral horizontal training. Some people call it SAID principle (specific adaptations to imposed demands).
Speed Training Articles
Simplifaster explained How to Create a Base of Power and Speed the importance of building a solid foundation in the general preparation, how to structure the general preparation and training weeks, and the importance of exercise selection and sequencing.
Juggernaut Training Systems discussed how to get Out of the Hole, in their Addressing Weakpoints | Squat series, the reason for getting stuck in the hole, and how to address the weak points with corrective exercises and special squat variations. Check it out
Starting Strength shared The Squat Prescription with Dr Jonathon Sullivan, author of the book The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40 outlines the importance of the squat and the different squat variations including the pros and cons. Check it out
Olympic Lifting Articles
The Bar Bend released Weightlifter Lu Xiaojun Has Launched His Own Line of Barbells, one of the most impressive contemporary lifters releases his own barbell brand.
Catalystathletics explained how to use Maximal Recovery Speed For Bigger Cleans the 5 key points to maximize the recovery phase during the lift. Check out the additional explainer video
Shrugged Collective discussed Snatch Pull Downs, what they are, what they can do for you and common technical mistakes. Check it out
Elite FTS outlined the benefits of Sumo Pulls for Athletes and the correct technical execution.