Article recommendations week #41 2017
We have searched the web for the most valuable and interesting articles of week #41 2017
Strength Training Articles
Fitness & Power outlined
- How to Bench Press More Weight by following 3 simple pieces of advice, advice number 1 is most often violated, that’s why most people don’t progress.
- 5 Tips to Improve Your Pulling Power the use of different equipment and different set and rep schemes to build your pulling strength.
The Strength Sensei explained why you need to Lift Heavy To Age Gracefully how and why resistance training can enhance the quality of life and longevity of life.
Stack listed 4 accessory exercises you need to master to improve your Bench Press in the article Master These 4 Exercises to Improve Your Bench Press
Elite FTS clarified
- the Energy Budget: Why You Can’t Exercise Your Way to Weight Loss a really interesting and thought-provoking theory about a self-regulating energy budget.
- what specificity means for Powerlifting in the article An Argument for Specificity
- Tapering for a Meet Using The Conjugate Method outlining different timelines for each specific lift, check it out
- a Tip: How to Increase Self-Control outlining the fact, that self-control and the ability to delay gratification are the key to consistency.
- The Reverse Method how to modify the start position or adding accommodating resistance can help changing up your strength training workouts without replacing the Big Three.
- The 3 Stages of Real Strength Training outlining different stages of your strength training journey and appropriate training programs for each stage. In which stage are you?
Breaking Muscle explained
- The Best Core Workouts You’re Not Doing it looks like after all the years of advocation of low-level stabilization activities the world is moving back towards more integrated and complex movements to train the trunk…
- The Pistol Squat: Develop Foundational Lower Body Strength benefits of the Pistol Squat and exercise progressions to master the Pistol Squat.
- Managing Strength Training Stressors: Maximizing Peak Performance 3 Strength & Conditioning Coaches sharing their experience and expertise.
- The Relation Between Biomechanical Stiffness And Feeling Stiff an interesting read, that again outlines that perception is not always reality.
The Barbell Physio outlined 3 steps how to Get More Out Of Your Mobility Work using a progression from passive techniques through active mobility work to loading.
After last week’s guide on Lateral Raises – Push or Pull Exercise? the Bar Bend discussed Front Lateral Raises: Muscles Worked, Exercise Demo, and Benefits and Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raise: Muscles Worked, Exercise Demo, and Benefits describing muscular activation, set and rep schemes and when to do them.
The Belfast Telegraph shared an Unconventional workout: Watch 7 of the best exercises you’re not doing, not so unconventional in my opinion, however, it all comes down to the Fundamental Movements Hinge, Squat, Pull, Stabilize plus accessory work. Check it out
American Football International shared Football Specific Strength Training From Sweden an approach to differentiate the strength training programs for the athletes based on playing position. I like that they emphasize the fact, that a strong foundation takes 1 – 4 years.
Dig Mag Online busted a few Strength Training and Weight Loss Myths
- also check out my Strength Training and Weight Loss Guide
Shredded By Science discussed Nutrition For Fat Loss | Adjusting Calories And Macronutrients For Fat Loss and breaking it down to what is important to consider and adhere on daily basis, weekly basis and monthly basis. Check it out
Picture Fit explained 3 Muscle Supplements NOT Worth Your Money a good, simple and clear explanation, of which supplements yo do not need. Check it out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Eric Cressey shared their approach to Periodization for the Teenage Athlete
- Part 1: outlining their periodization scheme, programming variables and rationale for exercise selection.
- Part 2: assessment of the youth athlete and how to use the assessment result for the training process.
Plyometric Training Articles
The Bar Bend listed 5 Plyometric Exercises for a Stronger Deadlift explaining how and why Plyometric Training can help your Deadlift, as well as the most appropriate plyometric drills for a bigger Deadlift.
Power Training Articles
Simplifaster challenged conventional wisdom in their article Why Force-Velocity Training Concepts Fail to Deliver definitely thought-provoking!
Speed Training Articles
Stack showed 2 Simple Drills to Help Athletes Accelerate Faster including the basics and mechanics of acceleration.
Back Squat and Front Squat Articles
- a Tip: Hit the Right Squat Depth outlining why you should hit proper squat depth, how to achieve proper squat depth and the need for individualizing squat depth.
Bodybuilding.com outlined The Easiest Way To Improve Your Squat And Save Your Back the importance of the hip rotators and how to effectively train them.
Olympic Lifting Articles
- how to effectively and actively receive the bar in the Clean to absorb the downward forces and technical corrections if you happen to fall down passively in the article The Clean: Don’t Just Fall Down, Turn It Over
- A Vertical Bar Path in the Turnover is Too Far Forward a detailed analysis of the bar path in the Snatch and Clean and implications for training.
The Boxrox shared the Snatch Push Press and Overhead Squat Complex from Olympic Champion Torokhtiy and emphasizing the use of the complex according to Torokhtiy’s description. Check out the complex
Snatch PUSH PRESS + Overhead SQUAT This quite a complicated, but very useful complex. It is most expedient to perform it during the transition and preparation period. During the transition period, it can be used as an option with 40-50% weight and a large number of reps (3-5 in each exercise) in one set. In the preparation period, this exercise can solve a number of tasks: development of the "base" and the volume, development of strength endurance and coordination. Intensity can vary from 60 to 85%, and the number of reps from 1 to 3 in each exercise respectively. Find more information about the number of sets, reps, working weight and which part of the workout would be the best to perform this exercise in LEG STRENGTH training program. ——— @TorWod ——— Это достаточно сложный, но очень полезный комплекс. Наиболее целесообразно выполнять его в переходный и подготовительный период. В переходный период его можно использовать как вариант разнообразия с весом 40-50% и большим количеством повторений (3-5 в каждом из упражнений) в одном подходе. В подготовительном периоде данное упражнение может решать целый ряд задач: наработка «базы» и объема, развитие силовой выносливости и координации. Интенсивность может варьироваться от 60 до 85%, а количество повторений от 1 до 3 в каждом из упражнений. —————————————— #WarmBodyColdMind #TORWOD #weightlifting #halterofilia #crossfit #weightlifter #crossfiter #snatch #torokhtiy #torokhtiy_gang #iwf #usa_weightlifting #powersnatch #overhead #hookgrip #TorVLab
Coach Mag UK showed How To Master The Power Clean a quick overview of the different phases of the Power Clean technique and useful assistance exercises. For more Power Clean info, check out my Power Clean guide.
Aleksey Torokthiy released another great 60-second tutorial, this time the Muscle Snatch, check it out
The Bar Bend
- released Thruster – Exercise Guide, Muscles Worked, and Sports Application what Thruster are, which muscles are at work, how to do them and who can benefit from Thrusters.
- showed impressions from the legendary Pyrros Dimas Power Snatches With Rogue’s New Experimental Barbell not quite as strong anymore, but still charismatic! Check it out
After last week’s article on the benefits of the Snatch-grip Deadlift Build Your Deadlift with the Snatch Grip Deadlift this week Elite FTS expanded on the use of Deadlift variations, such as the ‘Hang’ Deadlift or what they call the Deadlift below the knee in the article Build Your Deadlift with the Deadlift Plus Deadlift Below the Knee
Alan Thrall explained how to do Paused Deadlifts, what is important to consider, common technical errors and planning options. Check it out
Tony Gentilcore outlined 4 Mistakes Women Make When Deadlifting the most common Deadlift mistakes and how to fix them.
The Athletic Build showed how Powerlifter Stefi Cohen Deadlifts 4 Times Her Bodyweight plus another few awesome feats of strength. Definitely, check out the Deadlift
Starting Strength shared How to do the RDL (Romanian Deadlift) with Mark Rippetoe a simple, good and straightforward tutorial. Check it out