Article recommendations week #40 2017
We have searched the web for the most valuable and interesting articles of week #40 2017
Strength Training Articles
Picture Fit shared their thought on What Makes a Good Personal Trainer? (Top 5 Traits), I definitely agree on point number 1, not only applicable for PT’s, check it out
- listed 10 Things the Strongest Athletes in the Weight Room Have in Common no surprise perseverance and consistency are the top things.
- published a
- answered the question Why You Should Hire an Online Coach presenting successful Powerlifters and Bodybuilders and their rationale for using an online coach.
- explained why Ego is the Enemy for any serious lifter or athlete, based on the book Ego Is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday. A pretty awesome book, check out the short book summary
The Bar Bend discussed
- Working Out vs. Training vs. Movement: What’s the Difference? a bit of a philosophical approach to the differences between the terms working out, training and moving, however, I can follow the thought process.
- Barefoot Strength Training? Here’s The Deal the benefits of barefoot training, how to apply it and when not to apply it.
- Lateral Raises – Push or Pull Exercise? Why does it matter? If you are following a bro-split, you want to make an informed decision, where to put it into your split routine.
Men’s Fitness outlined why you need to warm up more in colder conditions in the article Do you need to warm up more if working out in cold weather? however, I wouldn’t align with the thought of doubling the warm-up time. Time is just one variable to tweak, I think there are better options than increasing warm-up time.
Breaking Muscle explained
- How To Improve Your Gray Matter In Just 8 Weeks through mindfulness and guided meditation.
- How to use visualization to get into the flow state for peak performance in the article Imagination: The Mind’s Contribution To Peak Performance
- Use Yoga To Improve Your Lifts the benefits of Yoga for bigger lifts
Simplifaster shared a case study how to Maximizing Athleticism and Sports Skill Performance in Training an integrated approach by using the best out of both worlds – Sports Science and Strength & Conditioning, worth reading!
Tony Gentilcore explained the difference between Feelings vs. Facts: In Fitness It’s Important To Know The Difference why it’s important to distinguish.
Plyometric Training Articles
The Bar Bend listed 5 Benefits of Plyometric Push-Ups a good article on the Plyometric Benefits for this upper body drill. More about plyometric benefits, check out
and also compared Plyometric Push-Ups vs Regular – Which Is Best for Power, Strength, and Overall Fitness? outlining the pros and cons of each Push-Up variation.
Speed Training Articles
Simplifaster listed 4 Speed Training Lessons with High School Athletes the lessons learned and the conclusions drawn from the lessons.
Back Squat and Front Squat Articles
The MedPage Today shared a research that shows Back Squats Give Older Women Better Bone no comment required.
- a Tip: Reassess Your Squat a quick run-down on squatting technique
- a Tip: Do These Stretches After Squats 4 great go-to stretches
- a Tip: Bottom-Up Bulgarian Split Squat emphasizing the idea of how to get the technical execution of the Bulgarian Split Squat right from the get-go, check out the video explanation. By the way, you might have seen the athlete Jelle van Gorkom (Silver Medallist at the Rio Olympic Games 2016) on this site before
- Tip: The 1.5 Method for Squats how to use the 1.5 repetitions to improve squatting technique, check out the explainer video
Bodybuilding.com released Beginner’s Guide to Squats | Tutorial with Q&A not sure, whether you need a full hour to relay the information, but it has some good information. Grab a cup of coffee and check it out
Juggernaut Training System published Squat Pillar #3 | The Descent I like the discussion about how you should approach your warm-up sets and using every set as an opportunity to perfecting technique, check it out
Olympic Lifting Articles
Catalystathletics listed 5 Ways to Get Better at Weightlifting without Training a great outline of activities you can do to purposefully fill the time outside your training time. Not only applicable to Olympic Weightlifting.
Simplifaster explained Why Close Grip Barbell Snatches Are Just Hype an in-depth outline, why close grip Snatch don’t hold what they promise.
Alan Thrall shared How To Push Press / Power Jerk / Split Jerk a really good tutorial including coaching cues and logical teaching progressions, check it out
Elite FTS explained how and why to use the Snatch-Grip Deadlift to improve your regular Deadlift in the article Build Your Deadlift with the Snatch Grip Deadlift
Simplifaster published an almost ultimate guide to Romanian Deadlifts – Proper Implementation and Key Variations
- Tip: Two Tips for Perfect Deadlifts simple and easy cues to immediately improve your Deadlift. Check out the instructional video
By the way, this video was meant to be a joke! Have a great weekend and sign-up for the newsletter below.