We have searched the web for the most valuable and interesting articles of week #38 2017
Strength Training Articles
- did round-up and asked 4 Strength Coaches Provide Their Favorite Conditioning Drills to Help You Quickly Get in Shape 1 question, 4 different answers.
- shared Try Different Rep Speeds to Build Strength and Size discussing the pro’s and con’s of slow reps, fast reps and paused reps.
Fitness & Power explained how to Use Time Under Tension to Build Serious Muscle Mass the relation between time under tension and hypertrophy.
Breaking Muscle outlined
- what goes into programming, the different consideration for effective program design and how to examine the quality of a coach in the article Learning Programming And Finding A Good Coach.
- how the trend of online coaching looks from a trainers perspective in the article Online Workouts: A Trainer’s Perspective
Andrew Hemming published Your Complete Guide to Building a Stronger Grip outlining different forms of grip strength and how to train them. Everyone who has increased his strength levels over time has certainly experienced, that grip strength becomes a limiting factor in many strength exercises. A good argument to train your grip strength.
Elite FTS shared
- Intrapreneurship using an established concept from the business world and apply it to the strength training world.
- Programs to Stimulate Size and Strength Gains a great article outlining a training program based around the Fundamental Movements and not only explaining what to do but also why to do it.
- Band Tension for the Pull-Up and Push-Up how to use accommodating resistance for Pull-Ups and Push-Ups and the benefits of band resisted Pull Ups and Push Ups.
- an Interview with Powerlifting and Strongman Legend Bill Kazmaier whether you know Bill Kazmaier or not (well, you should know Bill Kazmaier – period!) this is a must watch, check it out
and part 2 here…
Bodybuilding.com published a guide to Pull-Ups, The Beginners Guide To Pull-Ups including Live Tutorial with Q&A, a long tutorial, but worth watching. Check it out
- a Tip: Fix Your Overhead Pressing Technique a good overview of the typical flaws in the Overhead Press technique and how to fix those.
- The 5 Bad Habits outlining habits, that stand in your way and how to avoid them.
The Barbell Physio explained Aerobic System Development For The Fitness Athlete a really good outline of energy systems and the importance of the aerobic energy system, check it out
The Insider listed 5 exercises everyone does wrong — and how you can do them right simple and solid article.
Simplifaster published The Mistakes Nearly Everyone Makes with Video Analysis the do’s and don’ts of video analysis.
Tony Gentilcore explained 5 Ways I Include Single Leg Training In My Programs why you need single leg training, how to incorporate it into your training program and what is not single-legged training.
Juggernaut Training Systems discussed Terminator vs Rambo who would win the ultimate battle? It’s quite entertaining, even though I believe no one could ever beat Rambo 😉 check what Rambo’s instructor Trautman’s has to say
However, they also discuss how to structure your training if you have work commitments, how to incorporate conditioning into the training plan, if you want content and value, different training plans and strategies for lifters of different body weights, check it out
Picture Fit discussed Do Low Carb Diets Really Work? The mechanisms, why low-carb diets work, check it out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Stack listed 7 Unhealthy Habits to Stop to Improve your Kids Fitness not that difficult to avoid but requires most often a new habit formation to find better choices.
Speed Training Articles
YLM Sports Science explained Hamstring Activation: Acceleration vs Maximum-Speed Phases Of Sprinting really interesting to see how the muscle activation changes during the different phases of the sprint cycle.
Agility Training Articles
Simplifaster listed 5 Ways to Elevate Your Agility Training and Boost Athletic Skills explaining, what agility is and what agility is not (very important, since it’s very often misunderstood) and how to best train for agility development.
Power Training Articles
T-Nation shared a Tip: Build Explosive Power With This Piece of Crap how to use Bench Throws to develop upper body power and avoid the deceleration phase that is part of the regular Bench Press.
Train Heroic outlined 3 Common Power Training Mistakes and How to Fix Them definitely the most common mistakes (but also very often prescribed as training variables by some authors).
Plyometric Training Articles
Strong By Science explained How to Organize Plyometrics into Your Workout an excellent article how to incorporate Plyometrics into your training based on short SSC (stretch-shortening cycle) activities or long SSC activities, how to cue and plyometric exercise examples.
Optimal Movement outlined what Plyometrics & Power are, a good overview.
Back Squat and Front Squat Articles
- a Tip: The Overhead Squat and benefits of the Overhead Squats, want more benefits, check out the article 9 Benefits of the Overhead Squat and counting…
- The Strong Lifter’s Guide to Healthy Knees a great in-depth article covering program design, squat technique, mobility issues, muscular activation and flexibility work to bulletproof your knees for the squat.
Shredded By Science explained the biomechanics behind different squat variations, check it out, worth watching
Alan Thrall explained the benefits of the Paused Squat and how to do it and programming consideration, check it out
Olympic Lifting Articles
Catalystathletics outlined Individual Variation in Weightlifting: Effects & Solutions how different body dimension of athletes affects different positions in the Olympic Lifts. A great article, I remember the professor is was working for during my studies always talked about ‘variabilities & constancies’ of sporting technique.