Article recommendations week #37 2017
We have searched the web for the most valuable and interesting articles of week #37 2017
Strength Training Articles
Bonvec Strength explained how to get a bigger Bench Press in 2 parts
- 10 Keys to a Big Bench Press (Part 1) about technique, prioritization, training frequency, testing and bar velocity.
- 10 Keys to a Big Bench Press (Part 2) about scheduling, mindset, shoulder health, assistant exercises and sticking to a plan.
- interviewed Rafael Nadal how he trains, including, when he hits the gym and when not, interesting answers in the article Rafael Nadal talks training, staying fit, and winning Grand Slam titles
- questioned Can holding ‘power poses’ really improve your confidence? Maybe not, a new study says. presenting new studies, that found no effect of ‘power poses’. If you are unfamiliar with ‘power poses’ check out one of the most famous Ted Talks of all time from Amy Cuddy, where she explains ‘power poses’ and the evolution of her research
Elite FTS shared
- Conjugate Bodybuilding applying the Conjugate System used in Powerlifting to Bodybuilding, interesting application!
- Top Training Tips For Advanced Lifters — Stay Healthy and Be Your Own Worst Critic advice from an experienced athlete and coach.
- The Benefits of Concurrent Training explaining the benefits of concurrent training based on what happens on a cellular level.
Breaking Muscle explained
- A New Understanding Of How Muscles Work presenting a recent study on how muscles work on a cellular level.
- 5 Ways To Progress Your Plank a great outline, not only how to do the Plank, but also how to progress it, common problems and sticking points and how to fix those.
Dr. John Rusin described How The Reverse Band Method Works a variation of Accommodating Resistance Training outlining the rationale for the Reverse Band Method, video demonstrations how to use it for the big lifts (Squat, Bench, and Deadlift) and advising on an appropriate loading pattern.
Stack shared The 7 Most Common Injuries in Sports and Training (and How to Avoid Them) simple and good outline.
Just Fly published Fly Performance Podcast Episode #42: Dr. Bryan Mann Bryan Mann is always good to listen to as he combines the unique experience of having been an athlete, became a coach and later became a researcher, so he is a practical guy. Just listen in
Train Heroic distinguished that Strength Coaches Build Athletes, Not Bodybuilders (Plus More Wisdom From A Strength Legend) a great explanation of the differences between training athletes to improve the performance in their sport vs training to improve appearance and performance in the gym.
- A Review of Strength Training and Coordination: An Integrative Approach the world of strength coaches are split into either disciple of Frans Bosch, who blindly follow his thought process or non-conformists, that don’t agree with his ideas. However, this review tries to bridge the gap between the 2 worlds.
- TMG: A Secret Weapon in Sports Performance and Rehabilitation I came across TMG in 2006 / 2007 when I worked for the Catalan Tennis Federation, TMG is quite big in Spain. To be honest, we got mixed results, so I stopped looking at it. However, this is a great article from Simplifaster, so check it out and make up your own mind.
- Moving the Needle: Keys to Personal and Professional Growth in Strength and Conditioning an almost philosophical approach to the What’s, How’s and Why’s of professional growth for Strength & Conditioning Coaches
- a Tip: Should I Use Lifting Straps? I like the nuanced discussion of explaining when to use straps and when not to use straps.
- The Easiest Way to Unlock Growth outlining the importance of recovery, the role of the autonomic nervous system and how to create a recovery plan.
- a Tip: The GHD Sit-Up – Dangerous or Awesome? A highly debated exercise choice, however, I like the thought process and how they present their rationale for doing it. Check it out
Bodybuilding.com showed Your 4-Step Nutritional Gainz Plan 4 simple rules to follow.
Shredded By Science discussed
- Fat Intake | The Role of Fat In The Diet, the macro-nutrient of fat, why it’s important and what it does
- Rigid vs Flexible Dieting, Clean and Dirty Foods, looking at the literature, what the difference between rigid vs flexible dieting on fat loss success
Picture Fit debated Cutting vs Bulking – Which One FIRST For Beginners? what should you do first and why?
Youth Strength Training Articles
The Columbus Telegram showed the application of a successful youth strength training program in the article Eller: Program shows youths how to train safely what I particularly like is the emphasis on developing technical mastery as the foundation.
Speed Training Articles
Stack listed 6 Types of Exercises That Will Help You Get Faster and the application of fundamental movements for speed development.
Plyometric Training Articles
T-Nation shared a Tip: Depth Jump Push-Up, Long Response an upper body plyometric drill that will help increase your Bench Press. Check out the video
Also, check out the article Why understanding the Mechanics Behind Plyometric Training will make you jump like Michael Jordan which explains how Plyometric Training can help your maximum strength efforts.
Men’s Health outlined Do This Before Your Next Set of Squats how to use a plyometric exercise before a strength exercise to prime your nervous system and achieve a higher firing frequency. Check out their explainer video
Back Squat and Front Squat Articles
The Bar Bend published
- Split Squat Ultimate Guide how to do a Split Squat, different Split Squat variations and Split Squat benefits.
- 17 Ways to Break Through a Stubborn Squat Plateau I like the Bar Benders approach, not only are they outlining the ways to break through plateus, they also structure it depending on where the sticking point is. Great work!
- Is It Okay to “Bounce” Out of Your Squats? A nuanced discussion of the use of the bounce with a common sense conclusion and recommendation.
The Barbell Physio outlined 5 Squat Variations To Fix Your Problem Areas different squat variations for different purposes.
T-Nation shared a Tip: A Better Bulgarian Split Squat arguing to adjust the bench height for a better Bulgarian Split Squat, check it out
Olympic Lifting Articles
Aleksey Torokhtiy published two of his awesome 60 second tutorials, check out
- The technical execution of the Hang Snatch
- The technical execution of the Clean
- a Tip: Activate the Lats, Prevent Bar Drift a simple and effective cue to maintain a vertical bar trajectory. Check it out
- a tip for the Single-Legged Romanian Deadlift, you might have seen the coach somewhere on this site earlier…
Starting Strength explained How to Rack Pull outlining the execution as well as the rational for the exercise choice and programming considerations. Check it out
Elite FTS outlined
- on the same note as the previous post Are You Using Your Lats? The importance of the Lats in the big lifts (Squat, Bench, and Deadlift)
- How to Perform the Hook Grip for the Deadlift, usually the Hook Grip is used for the Olympic Lifts, however, the Hook Grip also offers benefits for the Deadlift. Check out the tutorial