We have searched the web for the most valuable and interesting articles of week #36 2016
Strength Training Articles
Stack published 3 articles
- Determining Whether You Should Train for Balance or Stability an interesting read on balance training, with a solid conclusion based on research.
- Your Complete HIIT Training Guide even though I believe the name HIIT is a new name for an old concept. This is a great article offers great advice on not only duration per repetition, but also the total duration.
- Use Pause Lifts to Increase Strength And Power Pause lifts are a good way to boost through plateaus as this article explains, but also to address sticking points as in described in the article How to get a stronger Back Squat in 7 steps
Tony Gentilcore shared good thoughts and important considerations on program design in his article Program Design Consideration For The New Personal Trainer
Eric Cressey offered thoughtful explanations How Lower Body Exercises Can Impact Upper Body Function
T-Nation published two good articles
- a Tip: Choose The Right Weight touching on the usual challenges of choosing a weight that is too heavy or too light. As well as considerations for training for hypertrophy or neural efficiency
- Can You Make More Muscle Fibers? discussing hyperplasia vs hypertrophy
EliteFTS shared 2 articles
- Identifying Why — 4 Steps to Perfecting Your Program Philosophy a geart read on including a mission statement and philosophy into your training program
- Novel Stimulus or Stupid Human Trick? some good thoughts on exercise selection and prioritization.
Juggernaut Training published 2 great articles
- Making Sense of the Bondarchuk Athlete Adaptation Profiles a it of a heavy read, describing the Bondarchuk method and its application
- Critique of the Juggernaut Method another great video on criticizing current method in strength training. This time criticizing his own method. Have a look at the video
Youth Strength Training Articles
Plyometric Training Articles
Fitness & Power explained Plyometric Training – Get Stronger and Faster With This Explosive Type Of Training covering the mechanics of plyometric training, the different phases of plyometric training and various practical applications.
Stack showed 3 Explosive Med Ball Exercises for Football Players a good selection of full-body med ball exercises, not only for football players.
Stack also discussed how to Improve Your Vertical With Depth Jumps covering rules for depth jumps and its’ application, as well as considering strength training and power training and discussing the difference between strength training vs power training. For more information on the difference between strength training vs power training have a look at the article Power Training vs Strength Training – what is the difference?
Back Squat and Front Squat Articles
I like the Bulgarian Split Squat you can see a few of our training impressions here but am not sure whether this elevated heel and low tempo are as effective as properly loading it.
Power Clean and Power Snatch Articles
Catalystathletics shared a discussion on a controversial topic Coaching Women: It’s Exactly the Same as Coaching Anyone Else very much a common sense approach I can fully align with.
Highlights of the week
Complementary Training shared insights Planning and Programming Strength Training Using DUP Approach the article is in the members section with paid acces. Mladen definitely knows his stuff on planning and periodization and gives his own spin incorporating ideas from the agile project management process. Worth it!
Go to previous weekly updates