Article recommendations week #34 2018
The most valuable and interesting articles in week #34 2018
Strength Training Articles
Simplifaster discussed Muscle Growth and Strength Training for Sports: How Much and for How Long? a really interesting article about the different timelines for muscular hypertrophy per body part and the main variables that influence muscular hypertrophy.
Dr. John Rusin described Functional Isometrics for Strength, Mass & Mind-muscle Connection, what functional isometrics are and how to use them for the different training goals.
Jeff Nippard asked Is Viagra Better Than Steroids For Muscle Growth? (New Research) | Science Explained, looking at the title I thought it’s a bit of a nonsense topic and not that interesting, however watching a few minutes and the scientific explanation of the researcher featured in this video made it actually interesting and share-worthy. Check it out
- 4 Proven Tactics for Faster Muscle Growth, explaining how the intentional variation in volume and intensity can lead to greater gains.
- Tip: Cycling Sets for Size & Strength, how to manipulate the number of sets in a mesocycle for improved strength and size.
Breaking Muscle outlined why Resistance Training Improves Exercise Motivation, presenting a study, that looked at adherence rates of elderly people after a period of supervised strength training and concluding, the effects of resistance training lead to greater motivation and adherence to continuing with the resistance training.
Stack listed 3 ways for an athlete to become more consistent and forming better habits in the article Discipline is Freedom: 3 Ways Athletes Can Become More Consistent.
Renaissance Periodisation discussed Coaching Semantics, a bit of a philosophical outline, but it does confirm the point, that you need to be able to speak the language of the people you train to get buy-in.
Shrugged Collective released
- the Front Foot Elevated Reverse Lunges – Leg Strength, the benefits of this lunge derivative and the different variations. Check it out
- Always Faithful with Coach Mike Burgener, Mike Burgener has influenced many athletes in Olympic Weightlifting and Crossfit. Check out his wealth of experience
Elite FTS shared
- Movement Patterns Beyond One Plane a really good article, explaining, that what you see from the outside, isn’t always what happens from the inside, or better said it’s important to understand cause and reaction.
- How Clubber Lang Used Schwarzenegger’s Rules of Success to Defeat Rocky Balboa an entertaining, but well informative piece bridging the gap between Arnold’s rules of success and the story of the Rocky 3 movie.
- A Question of Strength unfolding the Westside methods for beginners, intermediate and advanced lifters.
- Cut Your Training Time in Half, how using a training plan can help you to be more efficient. Check out the explainer video
The Barbend explained How to Use the Safety Squat Bar to Improve Your Bench and Shoulder Press, the benefits of the SSB (safety squat bar), and the practical application for Powerlifting, Strongman and Olympic Weightlifting.
Stronger by Science asked Should You Fear Lumbar Flexion? an in-depth piece defining different spinal positions and taking a deep dive into the research of different spinal position and its’ effects on spinal health.
Juggernaut Training Systems shared
- Al Feuerbach | Strength History Minute, a shot putter with fairly low body mass displaying incredible feats of strength and athleticism. Check it out
- Addressing Weak Points | Bench | Off the Chest, outlining the reason why you might be weak off the chest and corrective exercises to get stronger in the bottom position in the Bench Press. Check it out
Bodybuilding.com released Fitness Myths Busted: Creatine, Protein, & The Anabolic Window, an interesting discussion about what is actually facts and what are myths. Check it out
Power Training Articles
Stack explained Why Training to Failure Can Actually Hinder Your Strength, Power and Explosiveness Gains presenting a study comparing two groups, one training to failure one not, and the result of this training on jumping ability and rate of force development.
Elite FTS outlined the Hinge Position by Christian Anto Squat Tips From the LTTX, I argue this position might be discussed controversially, however, interesting to check out
Aleksey Torokhtiy demonstrated the 5 Best Mobility | Flexibility Drills for Clean, Front Squat, Jerk, an interesting variation of drills to get a better front rack position. Check it out, you need to switch on the subtitles, however, a lot of the demonstrations are self-explanatory
Olympic Lifting Articles
- Technique Primers: Get More out of Your Weightlifting Technique Work, the importance of technical training and how to actually add technical training to the training routine.
- How To Avoid Getting Dizzy In Clean & Squats – And Why It Happens crushing some myths what causes dizziness during the Olympic Lifts and Squats and how to avoid them. Check it out
Zach Tealander showed Snatch Progression from one of his seminars, teaching the first pull, contact point and receiving with different corrective exercises. Check it out
T-Nation shared a Tip: The Best Way to Do Romanian Deadlifts, I am not sure if I fully align with the idea, however, I like the point, that the smith machine allows you to lean further back and get a deeper stretch because of the counter-balancing. Check out their video
The Barbend released the Suitcase Deadlift Ultimate Guide describing proper form, Suitcase Deadlift benefits, which muscles are involved, as well as different Suitcase Deadlift variations and programming advice.