Article recommendations week #34 2017
We have searched the web for the most valuable and interesting articles of week #34 2017
Strength Training Articles
- a Tip: The 20 Reps Method for Strength an interesting approach to using a combination of Cluster Sets and Rest-Pause Sets to gain strength and size.
- The 6 Toughest Drop Set Workouts using mechanical drop sets to stimulate muscle growth, also check out my article on T-Nation about the use of Mechanical Drop Sets to improve technique and detect weak links in a strength movement
Alan Thrall discussed Why We Arch / How To Arch: Bench Press a great tutorial on the Bench Press technique, using mechanical principles and arguing why a reasonable arch is desirable. So, if you are interested in using some noticeable weight in the Bench Press, consider taking your feed off the bench. Check it out
Bodybuilding.com listed Five Advanced Pull-Up Variations For Building Muscle And Strength variations, where you either increase complexity or difficulty in order to make bodyweight Pull-Ups heavier.
Elite FTS discussed
- Program Determination Using the Quadrant Approach: Individualization in a Team Sports Environment a solid in-depth article, including sample programs – I have mentioned before that I have seen Ashley Jones (the author of this article) presenting at a conference and believe this guy really knows his stuff
- Preventing Negative Emotions from Stealing Your Progress how to win the mental battle to make progress
- High-Density Training for Fat Loss and Conditioning different variations of high-density training (which is a fancy term of manipulating the work to rest ratio), also check out the article on the topic how weight training helps weight loss
- Top Training Tips For Advanced Lifters — Life Priority and Team Role you’d be surprise how pretty simple their priorities are.
- Max Effort Work vs. Submaximal Doubles and Triples, should you do singles or only doubles and triples for your max strength development, check it out
Club Connect shared a great resource on attentional focus and cueing Why Instructions Don’t Get Through to Your Clients—and How to Fix It. how to use external cues for better results with your athletes or clients. Whilst I believe, there is enough merit for external cues, internal cues also have their place in coaching.
Shredded by Science explained Daily Undulating Programming | How To Programme Your Training With Reps, Volume, and Intensity, what DUP (daily undulating programming) and how to apply it depending on your strength training goals. including the use of auto-regulation. Check it out
The Elite Performance Institute discussed different Recovery Strategies for Sports Performance an overview of what they are and what they do.
- discussed Complexity In Periodization three coaches discussing their view and course of action in manipulating volume and intensity, and making choices in exercise selection.
- explained how to Balance Endurance And Resistance In Concurrent Training outlining a recent study that looked at crossover effects of the different training modalities and coming to a one sided conclusion.
The Poliquin Group outlined Ten Simple Steps to a Healthy Gut, no rocket science, but truly good advice. Behaviour change and habits are the keys.
Russian Bears shared Training of the Russian athlete – Dmitry Klokov, nothing really of value (with regards you could learn something from), but very entertaining, check it out
Simplifaster presented Velocity-Based Training Options for Strength an overview of how to use VBT (velocity-based training) in the strength training practice.
California Strength listed 4 essential Sleep Habits And Their Effect On Your Recovery
TD Athlete Edge explained Strength Training Basics simple and focussed on the ‘need to do’s’.
Starting Strength explained their way of The Barbell Row with Mark Rippetoe I definitely like his point on, that a movement needs to be quantifiable and movement compensations should be limited. Check it out
Mile Fit explained why distance runners should engage in strength training in the article College Coach Shares The Benefits Of Weight Lifting For Distance Runners
Tony Bonvechio showed 5 More Deload Week Mistakes de-load weeks are often underestimated and/or done half-heartedly, the article describes additional pitfalls that should be avoided.
Juggernaut Training Systems explained The Importance of Accessory Work describing the importance of accessory work with a strong focus on promoting muscular hypertrophy, including exercise selection for different body parts and intensification techniques. Check it out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Erica Suter explained Athletic Development is a PROCESS. And Whoever Says Otherwise, Is Lying. outlining the facts behind LTAD (long term athlete development). By the way, I could name a few examples of my athletes who are living proof of that process.
Stack shared 5 Things Athletes Need to Know About Talent important and underestimated points in the journey of talent development.
Power Training Articles
Nancy Newell shared her approach to medicine ball progressions and how her way of classifying medicine ball drills in the article Fastpitch Friday Ep.38 Softball: Managing Medicine Ball Progressions Also check out the video explanation
Plyometric Training Articles
Simplifaster explained The Scandinavian Rebound Jump Test: Why Every Athlete Should Use It not only how to use plyometric testing, but also how to effectively execute and train plyometric rebounds.
Science For Sport shared Counter Movement Jump (CMJ) how it is a useful plyometric test to determine sprint performances, 1RM maximal strength, and explosive-strength qualities.
Back Squat and Front Squat Articles
The Barbell Physio outlined Back Friendly Leg Strength alternatives.
Breaking Muscle shared The Squat progression Guide how to progress bi-lateral and uni-lateral squat variations.
The Bar Bend compared different successful and famous Back Squat programs in the article Breaking Down Famous Back Squat Programs for Weightlifters.
Olympic Lifting Articles
The Bar Bend asked Push Press vs Overhead Press – Which Should You Choose? discussing which variation to chose for maximum strength, hypertrophy and athletic development. For those who have difficulties with the Push Press, they also offered Push Press Alternatives.
Aleksey Torokhtiy published the technical execution of the Snatch, all you need to know in under 60 seconds, check it out
I do like Eric Cressey’s coaching cue for the Single Leg RDL or Single Leg Deadlift, check it out
Men’s Health listed 3 Exercises That Will Improve Your Deadlift, check it out