The most valuable and interesting articles in week #23 2018
Strength Training Articles
Breaking Muscle explained the Optimal Frequency Training For Hypertrophy an interesting approach to plan and train each muscle group depending on the individual recovery ability. I remember back in the mid 90’s Dr Fred Hatfield was recommending a similar approach.
Power Athlete HQ outlined the importance of the right mindset for success. Mindset is such a word, isn’t it? However, they do a good job here in outlining the difference between a growth mindset and a fixed mindset and the influence on success in the article Power Coach: Mindset
YLM Sports Science shared an infographic Integrated Periodization Plan for Team Sports: General Preparation, Specific Preparation / Pre-competition, Main Competition / Regular Season, Play-Off / Finals, Off-Season / Injury a detailed piece, check it out
Elite FTS explained
- Maximize Effective Volume and Minimize Junk Volume (with Program Sample) an interesting outline of what you actually need to do, and what you can leave out.
- that Every Training Method Is Useful by using 3 different training methods as examples and showing their practical application in a given context.
- why you need to Stay the Course outlining the importance of focussing on one course of action and the challenges of modern society, with an infinite amount of distractions. Reminds me of the interview, I did with Aleksey Torokhtiy, where he said multiple times ‘Focus on one way.’
- why some athletes are more explosive than strong, and vice versa, and appropriate training interventions for the ‘explosive’athlete and the ‘strength’ athletes. Check it out – after minute 05:38 it becomes a bit less inetersting (at least for me),, when the discussion shifts to Powerlifting, social media likes, etc
- The Stress Scale for Athletes: A New Method to Monitor Athlete Performance an interesting read about the influence of stress on an athlete’s life and how to manage stress variables to best support the athlete.
- Making the Most of Your Stint at Altitude the basics of altitude training, the physiological adaptations of altitude training, and the variables you can influence to maximize the benefits of your altitude training.
- the benefits of The Reverse Lunge: Building a Foundation for Athletes I do like the thought-process and rationale.
Men’s Health described the results of a study, that outlines the benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) in the article Using HIIT For Lifting May Be Even Better For Your Gains are the results representative for the superiority of HIIT? Probably not, however, they show how HIIT can be applied in certain situations.
Youth Strength Training Articles
Stack listed 5 Productive Strategies Parents Can Use to Develop Their Child’s Athleticism, nothing fancy, but simple and effective though.
The Bar Bend outlined A Nutrition Guide For Plant-Based Bodybuilders addressing the common concerns of protein intake and protein sources, high quantities of carbohydrates and the inclusion of essential fatty acids.
Picture Fit discussed Does Fasted Cardio Work? looking at scientific studies on the question ‘fasted cardio – sense or non-sense?’ and the answer is more nuanced than a simple yes or no. Check it out
Plyometric Training Articles
Juggernaut Training Systems shared Werner Gunthor | Strength History Minute, why is it Plyometrics, because the footage they use show some impressive Plyometric feats, especially for a heavy athlete like this.
I saw that footage long ago when I was a young student before Youtube existed and I remember, being glued to the screen, watching the training impressions of Werner Günthör. Check out a few of these impressive feats (it’s in french, however, you can enjoy the video)
Speed Training Articles
Simplifaster shared an interesting piece on Repeated Sprint Ability (RSA) and outlining the benefits of RSA, the potential difficulties with common RSA protocols and possible solutions to improve RSA testing and training in the article Repeated Sprint Ability: Move Beyond the Science to Make Athletes Fast
Juggernaut Training Systems shared Front Squat Pillar #4 | The Descent discussing foot pressure, back position, breaking from the knees, the velocity of the descent, knee positioning and the emphasis of muscular tension. Check it out
The Bar Bend shared
- Dynamic Warm-Up for Squats the importance of a dynamic warm-up and a selection of dynamic warm-up exercises.
- From the Ground Up: 6 Ways to Cue the Squat for Better Movement a great outline of common flaws in the squat and how to fix them.
Zach Telander showed an interesting progression to learn and progress the Overhead Squat in the video Stop Struggling w/ the Overhead Squat. Check it out
Elite FTS outlined Front Squat Tips For Athletes, the role of the Front Squat as an assistance exercise to develop the Power Clean and Clean, and the importance of the Clean grip for the Front Squat. Check it out
Olympic Lifting Articles
Bodybuilding.com compared Conventional vs. Sumo: What’s the Best Way to Deadlift? the differences of each Deadlift variation and which one is right for your needs. Also, check out the additional video
Starting Strength outlined Deadlift Mechanics (Audio Only), a bit of a longer audio, however, packed with valuable information. As Rippetoe mentions in the beginning, get some coffee to sit through it. Check it out