Article recommendations week #21 2017
We have searched the web for the most valuable and interesting articles of week #21 2017
Strength Training Articles
The Bar Bend explained How to Use Resistance Bands to Increase Strength, Power, and 1-RMs a truly great piece and useful tips for the practical application of using bands for strength and power development.
Breaking Muscle shared A Comprehensive Guide To Self-Coaching valuable advice for those who train and coach themselves.
EliteFTS reviewed Fatigue and Exercise: A Review of Science and Implementation an in-depth article on fatigue and how it affects individual performances.
Starting Strength explained the benefits of doing fives, what 5 reps can do for you, check out the video
- the ideal rest periods between sets when training for muscular hypertrophy in the article Tip: The Best Rest Periods for Building Muscle
- how to implement hypertrophy training into an athlete’s strength training program without losing power in the article Tip: How Athletes Should Train for Gains
EliteFTS discussed maximum effort work, the planning process involved and the lessons learned from the Westside Barbell and how it evolved over time, check out the video
Bodybuilding.com shared Get Athletic: Your Complete Guide To Improving Performance! adding elements of performance training into a hypertrophy routine.
The Globe and Mail discussed how to design a strength training program and concluded Adopt a movement-based approach for optimized workouts organizing your training around fundamental movements.
Juggernaut Training published Whats Your Question? #7, discussing RPE based strength training, Block Periodisation for strongman, selecting and progressing weights from one cycle to the next, fatigue management, how long should you test a new technique and more good stuff, check out the video
Power Training Articles
Stack showed 3 Prowler Exercises That Build Explosive Power some interesting applications of the prowler.
Plyometric Training Articles
- a Tip: The Seated Box Jump, as a plyometric variation that deliberately takes out the stretch-shortening cycle, check out the video
- a Tip: Supine Medball Reactive Throws as an upper body plyometric drill, check out the video
Fusion Sport released another video on Plyometric Progression with Coach Wilmot this time, the implementation of altitude landings and depth jumps into the plyometrtraininging program. Check it out
Back Squat and Front Squat Articles
The Bar Bend outlined the Zercher Squat Exercise Guide – Proper Form and Muscles Worked advantages of the Zercher Squat, how to execute it and alternatives.
MensXP published Decoding The Perfect Squat For Monster Legs a good outline of how to do squat and important considerations.
T-Nation shared a few Front Squat tips
- Tip: Front Squat Bar Placement how and where to place the bar, using the handsfree Front Squat, check out the video
- Tip: Front Squat With Straps how to use straps, if your wrist mobility is lacking, check out the video
Olympic Lifting Articles
Stack outlined 3 Drills That Will Fix Your Power Clean Form a variation of 3 corrective exercises, that can be used to fix certain technical aspects of your Power Clean.
Catalystathletics discussing the depth of the catch position of the Snatch in the article Ask Greg: Should Snatches Be Received as High or Low as Possible? check out the different phases of the Snatch or Power Snatch.
- a Tip: The Hang Snatch as one of the best exercises to develop explosive power, check out the video with the technical breakdown
- Tip: Split Jerk Technique Breakdown as another exercise variation to develop and produce explosive power, check out the video
All Things Gym shared Tall Snatch Drops Warm Up with Mirko Zanni a great exercise variation to teach the triple extension and the transition from the second pull to the catch phase, check out the video
The Bar Bend explained How to Deadlift 500lbs (and More) – Programming, Tips, and Mentality a solid in-depth article filled with valuable advice.
Fitness & Power explained how to Discover Which Type of Deadlift Is Best for You? covering progressions and muscular activation of different deadlift styles.
Tony Gentilcore explained The Trap Bar Deadlift Is Not Cheating outlining the benefits of the trap bar deadlift.
Highlight of the week
The fifth part of the Dimas documentary outlining the challenges and adversity he was facing leading up to the Athen’s Olympic Games 2004 and Dimas still being able to take home a medal
Check out his last competitive attempt, where he leaves his shoes on the platform as he mentioned in the documentary