Article recommendations week #20 2018
The most valuable and interesting articles in week #20 2018
Strength Training Articles
T-Nation shared a Tip: Training Frequency and Volume a thought-provoking piece discussing what is more important, volume or frequency.
- Top 20 Hacks for Strength Coaches in 2018 a great selection of tips.
- considerations for the warm-up, what to do and why to do it in the article Warm-Up: Comprehensive Preparation for High Performance
The Bar Bend shared
- a follow up on last weeks post, Klokov Press – Muscles Worked, Exercise Demo, and Benefits and compared Klokov Press vs Military Press on Olympic lifting performance, strength and power development, hypertrophy training and outlining injury considerations.
- Glute Bridge vs Hip Thrust discussing the differences between the two exercises and unique benefits of each exercise.
The Barbell Physio outlined Bar Muscle Up Assistance Drills, drills to help you get your muscle up or get more muscle ups. Check it out (audio isn’t too great, but you can still follow the progressions). Check it out
Power Athlete HQ discussed Power Coach: Learning how to apply continuous learning as a coach, what to do, what to look for and how to reflect.
- listed 4 Rules of Training Professional Athletes (with Off-Season Program Sample) how to condition your athletes, how to improve movement quality and maximizing your time.
- Training a Professional Athlete – Roosevelt Nix a really good outline of the unique challenges you are facing training professional athletes, that a lot of people don’t think about. I can relate to quite a few points described, check it out
Stack explained Why Soccer Players Should Strength Train a simple and straight-forward piece outlining the strength training benefits for the sport of soccer.
Juggernaut Training Systems asked What Is Leadership? a great discussion about the need for ‘chain of command’, what a leader is and what makes good leadership. Check it out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Tony Gentilcore listed 4 Things To Consider When Training Youth Athletes discussing common problems and misconceptions about the need and requirements for youth athletes.
T-Nation listed The 6 Skills of Intuitive Eating very good, simple and applicable advice.
Jeff Nippard discussed
- 3 Supplements You Aren’t Taking But Should Be, outlining supplements that aren’t commonly suggested, but do have ergogenic (performance improving) benefits, and go past the usual Creatine, Whey, etc recommendations. Check it out
- Apple Cider Vinegar: What’s All The Hype About? what apple cider vinegar is, what the science says about the role of apple cider vinegar on fat loss and how apple cider vinegar helps blood glucose control (or not). Check it out
Power Training Articles
Elite Track outlined Overspeed Eccentric Training. Advanced Explosive Training for Throwers a great article, explaining what overspeed eccentric training is, what it does and exercise prescription.
- a Tip: Do The Double Pause Squat to improve squatting mechanics and increase time under tension. What is a double pause squat? Check it out
- The Squat: 10 Damn Good Tips 10 useful tips from expert strength coaches.
Tony Gentilcore listed 3 Reasons You Need More Front Squats In Your Life a good piece outlining benefits of the Front Squat.
Juggernaut Training Systems shared Front Squat Pillar #1 | Front Rack discussing grip width, bar position on the front delts, upper body involvement and the ultimate question ‘whole hand around the bar or not?’ Check it out
Olympic Lifting Articles
Catalystathletics explained how to strengthen the lower back in the article Ask Greg: Strengthening the Lower Back outlining specific exercises to strengthen the lower back with specific weightlifting exercises, as well as describing some general lower back strengthening exercises.
Zach Telander said You don’t train Bulgarian, bro. a rant on why most people don’t really train after the Bulgarian Weightlifting System, by discussing the Bulgarian Weightlifting System, how it works and what the real characteristics are. Honestly, I am not a big fan of rants, but the video does a good job at explaining in short what the Bulgarian Weightlifting System is, check out the discussion
Starting Strength showed their 5-step Deadlift Setup and Deadlift Setup Fixes for common Deadlift flaws. Check it out