The most valuable and interesting articles in week #18 2018
Strength Training Articles
- a Tip: Rest-Pause for Size & Strength what rest-pause sets are and how to use them to your advantage to gain strength & size.
- a Tip: Intra-Set Load Contrast Set, an advanced technique to excite the nervous system to activate more muscle fibers at lower intensities. Check out how it works
- a Tip: Multi-Contraction Drop Set a combination of regular sets, added resistance and assisted resistance in order to extend the set. Check out how it works
The Barbell Physio listed The Best Books For Fitness And Rehab Professionals some of these books I know, and think they are great, some I don’t, but will check out.
Elite FTS shared
- another Core Values — Trust, their take on trust, why you need to earn trust and how trust unfolds in their practical approach. Check it out
- Injury Prevention in the NFL – Tom Myslinski, an interesting talk. Do check it out
Complementary Training outlined HIT Conditioning: Planning Strategies – Part 2 how to plan your conditioning over multiple weeks. Also, check out the first part, which forms the basis to understand this article.
Picture Fit asked What is Overtraining? outlining what overtraining is, the differences between overtraining and overreaching, how to detect overtraining, and the causes & symptoms, as well as how to avoid overtraining. Check it out
The Poliquin Group discussed Are You Compromising Muscle Growth With High-Intensity Circuit Training? a very common question, well answered.
Stack released Contrast Training 101: Every Athlete Should Know This Technique what contrast training is, what it can do for you, what you need to have mastered before using contrast training and training guidelines.
Simplifaster shared insights into Applied Sports Science in Professional Ice Hockey with Eric Renaghan an interview with an NHL Strength & Conditioning Coach, worth reading.
The Bar Bend took a dive into glycogen and discussed
- What Is Glycogen and How Does it Help Build Muscle? the role of glycogen in your physiology, why you need it and what happens if it drops.
- Glycogen Depletion – Signs and Symptoms you can use to self-diagnose, whether our glycogen is depleted or not.
Power Training Articles
Power Athlete HQ shared Fred Hatfield’s Influence On Power Athlete by summarizing a few chapters of his book and explaining his training philosophy. Fred Hatfield has been one of the early influencers of myself as well.
Plyometric Training Articles
Agility Training Articles
Simplifaster asked Are Closed Change of Direction Drills Useful for Developing Agility? a great discussion including what agility is, what influences agility and how this influence unfolds in practice, including an interesting discussion on the closed drill to open drill progression vs the constraints-led approach.
Olympic Lifting Articles
Catalystathletics explained Creating the Optimal Back Arch in Snatch & Clean a truly great article, looking at the normal physiological make-up of the spine and how this applies to the back position during the Olympic lifts.
The Bar Bend shared Box Squat vs Regular Squat – Which Is Best for Your Goals? outlining the unique benefits of each squat variation and the benefits of each squat variation of different ‘populations, such as fitness & general health, powerlifters, weightlifters, etc.
Starting Strength explained Hamstrings and The Squat, how the hamstring is involved in the squat, differences between hamstring activation in the Front Squat vs Back Squat. Check out the audio
The Bar Bend shared
- the Axle Deadlift – Muscles Worked, Exercise Demo, and Benefits, also called fat bar deadlift and what this deadlift variation can do for you.
- Axle Deadlift vs Barbell Deadlift – Which Is Best for Strength, Muscle Mass, and Fitness? the benefits of both deadlift variations compared and who can benefit most from them.
Juggernaut Training Systems shared Sumo Pillar #5 | The Lockout, the last part of the Sumo Deadlift series, the initiation of the lockout, arm tightness and to lean or not to lean in the lockout. Check it out