We have searched the web for the most valuable and interesting articles of week #17 2017
Strength Training Articles
- 7 Tips For Maximum Focus and Motivation not only applicable to training and lifting.
- How to Get Those Arms Growing what I like about this article, that it looks at a deeper level than just exercises and exercise selection, worth reading!
Freeletics offered a few tips for falling asleep faster in the article Stop Counting Sheep: 6 Tricks To Fall Asleep Faster
Muscle & Fitness explained
- how to Build Muscle With The Holistic Training Method sequencing different training goals within a week is a good idea, in my opinion, you will get more bang for your buck sequencing complementing training goals, max strength & power would be such an example.
- How Velocity-Based Training Works a good general overview of velocity-based training, however, the velocity zones provided usually change from exercise to exercise.
8 Weeks Out published The Ultimate Guide To Conditioning For Non-Athletes: How To Write A Simple, Effective Conditioning Program For General Population Clients another great piece on conditioning, this time for non-athletes, I like their thorough approach.
For those who like to track their fitness and training progress, Men’s Fitness compared The 9 best fitness trackers and smartwatches of 2017
- named 15 Training Mistakes That Top Strength Coaches Want You to Correct Immediately interesting read and interesting to see different points of view.
- explained the importance of diaphragmatic breathing, its’ effect on recovery and relaxation, as well as offering a few breathing in the article Diaphragmatic Breathing Guide for Beginners: Exercises to Get Stronger, Recover Faster or Just Calm Down
Train Heroic outlined
- Using Periodization As A Strategy For Writing Better Programs making the complex concept of periodization easy and applicable.
- Use This Athletic Development Framework to Optimize On-Field Performance a good example of a thought of athlete development model, check out the video
Men’s Health explained
- why Energy Drinks Can Hurt Your Heart—but Their Caffeine Might Not Be the Culprit something to be aware of.
- why you should limit your coffee intake in the article Read This If You Drink More Than 4 Cups Of Coffee a Day something I myself have been guilty of
Juggernaut Training published Whats Your Question? #3, check out the video
Power Training Articles
Train Heroic outlined 4 Scientifically Proven Ways To Develop Explosive Power (And How To Program Each) a very solid article, what power is and the different ways to train power.
T-Nation offered a Tip: The Deadlift Jump For Power Development the Deadlift Jump can be performed with different training modes, such as kettlebells or a trap bar, preferably not with a barbell, as it would change the mechanics of the optimal jump movement. Check out the video
Speed Training Articles
Stack outlined how the Lateral Platform Drill will improve speed and agility in the article This Sprinting Technique Drill Will Improve Both Your Speed and Agility I doubt whether one drill alone will do the trick, however, it’s a suitable tool in your toolbox when aiming to train agility. Check out the video
Lift Big Eat Big busted a misconception about the Deadlifting technique and execution in the article Bloody Shins Don’t Mean You’re Deadlifting Properly
T-Nation outlined a Tip: Deadlift Star Complexes an interesting combination and sequence of lifts. I am still a little bit undecided about the usefulness, however, everyone can make up his own mind. Check out the video
Nonetheless, I do like the framework and rationale for the whole program, which is outlined in the article 6 Weeks to Superhero
The Bar Bend offered a great overview of the benefits, muscle activation and alternative exercise selection for the RDL in the article Romanian Deadlift Alternatives for Muscle Growth and Strength also check out our tutorial on Fundamental Movement Patterns – Fundamental Movement #1 Bending – Deadlifts
Back Squat, Front Squat, and Overhead Squat Articles
T-Nation shared another Squat Tip: Instantly Improve Your Squat I do use that mini band drill in warm-ups for athletes that need some help with feeling the right squat movement pattern. Check out the video
The Bar Bend discussed Split Squat vs Squat – What’s the Difference, and Muscles Worked? a great overview of both squat variations and why both should be in your strength training program. Also, check out the video tutorial about squatting outlining the differences
Power Clean, Power Snatch, and Olympic Lifting Articles
Catalystathletics debated why Modern Weightlifting Training Methods Are Not Better Than Old Ones & There Are Numbers to Prove It an interesting discussion, why new isn’t always better.
Highlight of the week
Tim Ferris interviewed Dorian Yates, one of the most successful bodybuilders of all times. What I like about this podcast is how Dorian Yates can explain what are the need to do’s in training and what are the nice to do’s – which is applicable to any sport. The commitment and determination of Dorian Yates to become the best bodybuilder and how he puts things in perspective 20 years after retirement. Check it out, it’s worth it