Article recommendations week #15 2017
We have searched the web for the most valuable and interesting articles of week #15 2017
Strength Training Articles
T-Nation shared a Tip: The Scientific Reason Women Need to Go Heavy challenging conventional wisdom on how heavy you need to train.
Exciting to see that StrengthCoach TV is Back looking forward to getting a few nuggets of wisdom from Mike Boyle, check out the announcement
BroScience revealed 4 Things You Probably Don’t Know About Building Muscle solid and often overlooked facts.
Train Heroic looking at various of a needs analysis and an outline How To Perform A Needs Analysis Before Writing Your Next Program
Fitness & Power compared The Barbell VS Dumbbell Row – Which One Is The Superior One? outlining the benefits and drawbacks of each row variation.
Complementary Training shared
- Concurrent Strategies in Strength Training – Part 3 a great overview of how to design a strength training program
If you missed the previous parts, check part 1 and part 2
- discussed how to Build Strength Without Adding Bulk outlining strength training programs for strength development without adding additional body mass.
- explained how to Practice Consistency As A Skill in my opinion one of the most important determinants of success.
Juggernaut Training Systems explained how to grow your back in their article and video Hypertrophy Guide | Back check out the video
Plyometric Training Articles
Advanced Human Performance shared Maximize Performance with Rapid Eccentric Isometrics: The New Plyometric comparing the effects of Rapid Eccentric Isometrics with Plyometrics. If you aren’t sure, what Rapid Eccentric Isometrics are, check out this example video
Muscle & Fitness explained How To Do Box Jumps Like J.J. Watt not the most detailed article, but I like the fact of emphasising technique and safety first.
T-Nation shared a Tip: Deadlift With a Wide Grip or Snatch-grip Deadlift as a variation to force yourself into a lower start position, check out the video
Adam Pine discusses Flat vs. Round Back Deadlift, why to use it and when. Also, check out Adam Pine’s video tutorial
Back Squat, Front Squat, and Overhead Squat Articles
Muscle & Fitness explained How To Avoid Back Pain While Squatting solid and useable advice.
The Barbell Physio explained how femur length influences squat mechanics and individual squat style in the article Femur Length And Squat Technique – How Individual Differences Impact Squat Performance
The Bar Bend
- compared Zercher Squats vs Leg Press – What’s Best for Strength and Hypertrophy? outlining pro’s and con’s and concluding the Zercher Squat is the better choice for maximum strength development, whilst the Leg Press is a better choice for muscular hypertrophy.
- outlined the Steinborn Squat – The Ultimate Guide and Technique an unusual squat variation with unique benefits. If you aren’t aware, what the Steinborn Squat is, check out the video and how to progress it.
Power Clean, Power Snatch, and Olympic Lifting Articles
Catalystathletics explained why you should Quit Thinking About Missing Your Heavy Lifts While You’re Doing Your Light Ones the importance of deliberately using lighter weights to improve on the heavier weights.
Stack outlined 4 Ways to Make Olympic Lifts More Effective for Athletes solid and actionable advice.
Juggernaut Training Systems shared The Weightlifting Triad outlining the three technical components of a successful Olympic Lift.
Highlight of the week
So happy to see my guys winning the silver medal in the team sprint event at the World Championships Track Cycling 2017
and Harrie Lavreysen winning the silver medal in the individual sprint
I am so happy to see Harrie succeed, as he has gone through a long period of injuries and adversity in the last 2 years. Great job Harrie!
Check out some training impressions from Harrie