The most valuable and interesting articles in week #13 2018
Strength Training Articles
The Poliquin Group listed Five Excellent Reasons To Train For Functional Hypertrophy what functional hypertrophy is and what it can do for you.
Fitness & Power outlined A Complete 8-Week Beginner/Intermediate Muscle Building Program by putting different workouts into a structure and describe guidelines for every training period.
Alan Thrall asked Are Estimated 1 Rep Maxes Useful? Discussing how to use estimated 1 RM’s and how to effectively combined estimated 1 RM’s with prescribed RPE. Check it out
Men’s Health listed 5 Moves to Build Super Strength, From a WWE Strongman the strength lifts a strongman uses to prepare for his competition.
Breaking Muscle explained
- the importance of strength for martial arts, specifically Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) and how to strength train for BJJ in the article Technique Conquers All, Except Physics
- Respect The Bar: Create Your Set Up Checklist how to prepare yourself for big lifts
- Why Body Language Can Help You Dominate Your Training how posture can influence your hormonal environment, which can lead to performance improvements, based on the research of Amy Cuddy. Check out the Ted Talk from Amy Cuddy, which also happens to be one of the most popular Ted talks of all time
The Bar Bend explained Back-Off Sets: What They Are and How to Use Them what Back-Off Sets are, what they do, and how to implement them into your training. Bill Starr has explained in detail in his book The Strongest Shall Survive: Strength Training for Football how to use Back-Off Sets to increase strength and size in athletes.
- 7 Upper Back Pulling Exercises for Athletes by outlining the different pulling movements, exercise variations and how to apply the different exercise variations to your training plan and periodization strategies.
- a few arguments for and against individualized training in the article How Much Individualized Performance Training Do Athletes Need? individualized training is often discussed as the holy grail of training, this article start a nice nuanced discussion.
The Athletic Build explained why you shouldn’t neglect the fundamentals, by listing the benefits of the fundamentals in the article Back To The Basics: Why Athletes Shouldn’t Neglect The Fundamentals of Strength
Juggernaut Training Systems released an interview with Joe De Franco discussing the journey of Joe De Franco, from the challenges to the big successes. And much more… Check it out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Power Athlete HQ answered What The Science Says: Guidelines For Youth Resistance Training covering topics from equipment selection, exercise selection, volume & intensity, appropriate training progressions and training frequency.
Elite FTS followed up on last weeks’ post/video on the preparedness of youth athletes with a video discussing Taking Over A Failing High School Football Team – Jim Wendler, how simple common-sense adjustments and challenging the common-wisdom in a sport can lead to great results. Check it out
Jeff Nippard outlined The Ketogenic Diet: Science Behind Low Carb Keto for Fat Loss, Muscle & Health looking at almost the whole history of studies that have been done on the ketogenic diet, and a nuanced discussion of the benefits of the ketogenic diet, as well as a diverse recommendation. Check it out
Omar Issuf explained How To Lose Fat Fast: Nutrition Guide (Calories & Macros) summarizing the main principles of fat loss and how to manage the macro-nutrients and align them with your training structure. Check it out
The Barbell Shrugged Podcast discussed The Science of Ketones, Lactic Acid and More with Dr. Eddie Jo discussion the energy metabolism and neuromuscular physiology and hormonal system and its’ application to training, nutrition, and supplementation. Check it out
Olympic Lifting Articles
Train Heroic outlined How to Develop a Simple Olympic Weightlifting Program for Beginners what are the most important training variables and how to apply thos to a beginners training program.
What is a Tall Snatch? Check out the video from Catalystathletics
- how to use OTM (on the minute) training, or also called EMOM (every minute on the minute) in the Crossfit community to consolidate the technical lifts and improve efficiency in the article On The Minute Training for Weightlifting
- Quit Pushing Your Cleans Away with Your Thighs how to avoid a hard bounce off the legs during the Clean.
If you browse through my videos, you can probably see, that I somehow share this love-affair with Bulgarian Split Squats, well whether it’s a love-affair, I am unsure, but I consider it a highly valuable exercise. Check out double Olympian Twan van Gendt doing a Bulgarian Split Squat with 210 kg
The Bar Bend explained Why You Should Use Both Low and High-Bar Squats In Your Training the unique benefits of each squat variation and how to combine both into your training program.
Juggernaut Training Systems shared High Bar vs Low Bar Squat, comparing the two squat variations, technique differences, different movement patterns and training application. Check it out
Check out the short 1-minute Back Squat tutorial I did with one of my athletes, double Olympian Twan van Gendt
The Bar Bend outlined
- Sumo Deadlift High Pull – Muscles Worked, Exercise Demo, and Benefits what the exercise is, how to effectively use it, muscular activation and the different benefits and fields of application.
- Sumo Deadlift High Pull Alternatives for those who have difficulties performing Sumo Deadlift High Pulls.
- another 5 Benefits of Sumo Deadlift High Pulls from posterior development over power output to metabolic conditioning.
Juggernaut Training Systems shared Deadlift Pillar #5 | The Lockout, how to maximize the lockout for a successful Deadlift by locking out as early as possible and the strategies to achieve this early Deadlift lockout. Check it out
Check out the short 1-minute Deadlift tutorial I did with one of my athletes, double Olympian Twan van Gendt
Highlight of the week
One of my athletes, Niek Kimmann won the first BMX Supercross World Cup of this season, congratulations Niek! Check it out