Article recommendations week #10 2018
The most valuable and interesting articles in week #10 2018
Strength Training Articles
Stack explained How to Use ‘Giant Sets’ for Massive Results Inside the Weight Room defining what giant sets are, the benefits of giant sets and example giant sets you could use in your training.
Breaking Muscle outlined
- why Physical Health Is Mental Health in the past (and in the present) the relation between mental strength and physical strength has been discussed as a unilateral relation, specifically, that the mind controls the body. As a matter of fact, it is actually a bilateral relation, which means a physical strength affects mental strength. We can see this in sport all the time, the one who knows he is physically strong and can last longer, jump higher, run faster whatever it might be, has a higher level of confidence due to his physical superiority.
- 5 Reasons Why You Aren’t Seeing Results In The Gym from consistency over in-effective program design to motivation and discipline, and ultimately wasting time.
Power Athlete HQ released PA Radio – Episode 249: Dr. Bryan Mann an interesting talk on velocity-based training, injury prevention, and injury prediction, and much more… Listen in
YLM Sports Science compared the adaptations of different resistance training methods in a very visual infographic in the article The Importance Of Muscular Strength: Resistance Training Methods.
Tony Gentilcore outlined what training volume is, how to increase training volume and individual considerations in the article Programming Considerations: Training Volume
- a Tip: The Perfect Number of Sets for Growth how to stimulate muscle growth and training program guidelines.
- a Tip: Want Size? Build Reps, Then Add Weight an example program how to build volume through more reps, before you add weights.
- The Best Dumbbell Exercise You’re Not Doing 12 experts sharing their best DB variation, an interesting selection. Some are better than others…
- a Tip: Rest Periods: Sit or Walk Around? presenting a study, that compared an active rest between sets (walking around) and a passive rest between sets (sitting around) with the outcome, that you need to choose active or passive rest depending on your goal. Is your goal conditioning, walk around, if your goal is strength gains, power gains, increased worked done, choose a passive approach.
Bodybuilding.com listed 5 Hard Truths You Need To Hear About The Bench Press why the Bench Press is not as important as most people treat it.
- Is Training at Altitude Worth It for Athletes? an outline basic physiological principles that can be affected by altitude training, the benefits of altitude training, as well as discussing how long and how high you need to train at altitude.
- Why Yoga Is Important For Soccer Players I don’t necessarily align with all the benefits listed, however, still a lot of good information, not only for soccer players.
Complementary Training followed up on the fundamentals of strength training planning discussing testing / re-testing the 1RM, adjusting 1RM and adjusting training intensities for the following cycle in the article Strength Training: Planning the Training Block – Part 4 If you missed the previous parts of this article series, check out part 1, part 2 and part 3.
The Barbell Physio outlined the importance of Shoulder Extension Mobility Drills and provided a few example mobility exercises you can do.
The 42 shared in very simple outline to achieve your goals for everyday training people using planning and periodization principles for goal setting and a Fundamental Movement based approach for the strength training design to achieve your training goals in the article Micro, Meso, Macro! A guide to setting fitness goals and actually hitting them.
The Bar Bend explained
- How to Program Speed Work for Raw Powerlifters what speed work is, why you need it and how to incorporate it into your strength training program.
- all you need to know about Barbell Rows in the articles Barbell Row vs Dumbbell Row – Which Is Best for Strength, Hypertrophy, and Fitness?, Bent Over Row – Muscles Worked, Exercise Demo, and Benefits and Barbell Row Alternatives
Elite FTS discussed The Role of Individual Differences in Programming by looking at the different variables, such as Size, Strength levels, Training age, Fiber type ratio,
proximity to genetic potential and much more.
The Barbell Shrugged Podcast discussed Optimizing Performance with Renaissance Periodization Founder Mike Israetel, touching on Dr. Israetel’s favourite topic, balancing training and recovery to maximise adaptation with various applied examples. Check it out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Elite Track asked Is there a skill in strength training? A lesson learned from some of the strongest athletes in track and field: throwers why it is important to learn fundamental movement skills before the young athlete hits PHV (peak height velocity) and the transfer of fundamental movement skills to sport-specific performance.
Simplifaster shared The Posterior Chain: A Modern Approach and Perspective how to develop the posterior chain through teaching progressions in young athletes.
YLM Sports Science listed the most relevant Dietary Supplements For Health, Adaptation Ahletes And Recovery In Athletes another great infographic.
Elite FTS discussed Dan Green’s Current Nutrition Strategy, from the distribution of macro-nutrients, total calorie intake, food choices and favourite meals to lose weight with maximizing strength. Check it out
- How To Find Your Perfect Diet Plan by outlining your goals first and find a diet that works for you.
- Your No-BS Approach To Flexible Dieting 5 important points for your diet success.
- 3 Myths About High-Protein Diets Debunked with Jose Antonio, PhD, I have seen Dr. Antonio present, and I had the chance to pick his brain once, this guy knows his stuff! Check out the video
For more information, check out the podcast with Dr. Antonio
Picture Fit discussed Does Soy Lower Testosterone? elaborating, whether recent claims of soy protein lowering testosterone by looking at the recent studies, as well as recommendations, which soy protein to chose. Check it out
Power Training Articles
Boxing News Online shared Explosive training for boxing outlining the differences between power training and strength training, how to use the different power training zones and how to apply velocity-based training for boxers.
Olympic Lifting Articles
Train Heroic listed 68 Assistance Exercises for Olympic Weightlifting from specific to unspecific exercises.
The Bar Bend shared Clean and Jerk – Technique and Muscles Worked what the Clean & Jerk is, muscular activation, the technical phases and different variations and assistance exercises to train and improve the Clean & Jerk, as lots of video tutorials.
Juggernaut Training Systems released Scientific Principles of Weightlifting Overload, what the Overload principle is, which parameters you can overload (reps, sets, load, distance, etc), how to overload through the different training phases and outlining what is enough volume and what is too much volume and the associated risks of too much overload. Check it out
Catalystathletics discussed a common flaw of shooting the hips backward in the squat and / or Clean, what the reasons are and how to solve it in the article Ask Greg: Hips Shooting Back in Squats & Cleans
Stack shared The Split Squat: How to Master This Powerful Lower-Body Exercise how to do the Split Squat, as well as progressions and regressions.
T-Nation shared a Tip: This Exercise Beats Squats for Glute Gains why you should do heavy Bulgarian Split Squats. Check out Double Olympian Twan van Gendt demonstrating what a heavy Bulgarian Split Squat looks like, 210 kg! (and me coaching in Jeans, not sure what happened on that day?!?)
Elite FTS shared The Posterior Chain Overhead Deadlift if this title doesn’t make you curious… It definitely made me curious how that exercise would be performed. Check out the video
Highlights of the Week
After already successful results at the World Championships Track Cycling 2018, which I shared in last week’s article recommendation, one of my athletes Jeffrey Hoogland finished the tournament with a new world record on sea level in the 1 km time trial, and a well deserved World Championship title.
Check out this brutal full out effort. Watch it to the end to understand what I mean.