The most valuable and interesting articles of week #1 2018
Strength Training Articles
Elite FTS presented
- a 9-Week Strength and Fat Loss Program for the New Year provides a step-by-step training plan for 9 weeks outlining how strength training can help weight loss.
- Conjugate Football — Guidelines for Team Programming how to apply the conjugate method for Football, as well as a detailed weekly example schedule.
- 10 Stupid Things Powerlifters Need to Stop Doing a list of things, not only Powerlifters should stop doing
- The One Thing That Makes A Great Coach, the most important thing you want to see in any coach. Caring more about their athletes than themselves. That’s why we are in it, right? Check out Dave Tate’s take on it
The Bar Bend listed
- 5 Strength Training “Rules” You Can Completely Ignore busting a few common pieces of advice.
- 5 Benefits of Hanging Knee Raises different variations of Hanging knee Raises and the benefits of each variation.
Elite Track outlined Distinctions of Speed and Force Expression by Nic Shea a really good article discussing Power, Rate of Force Development (RFD) and the role of strength in optimizing Power production and RFD.
Silent Mike discussed What Makes an Elite lifter ft. Boris Sheiko interviewing one of the most sought-after coaches Boris Sheiko and his criteria for what makes an elite lifter. Check it out
The Medical News Bulletin discussed the current state and future of genetic testing in the article Personalized Physical Training: Is Genetic Testing the Way of the Future?
KU TV explained Why good form is crucial when starting a training regimen a good read outlining the necessity of good form, that goes beyond the usual ‘preventing injuries argumentation’. Don’t get me wrong, preventing injuries is important, but good form provides more benefits, how this article shows.
Self.com listed 6 Essential Weight Lifting Moves for Beginners forget the provided exercise demonstration(s), what I like is, that it focusses on the fundamental movements, squat, bend/hinge, press and pull.
Youth Strength Training Articles
Elite FTS shared the Peak Mental Performance Podcast — Kava: The Stress-Reducing Drink That Made Its Way to the NFL outlining what Kava is, and how it can help. I don’t think it will be a magic weapon, but it might be a useful add-on to your nutritional plan and supplements. Check it out
Shredded By Science discussed Calories For Muscle Gain and Food Varieties When Gaining Muscle the composition of the different macronutrients and the amount of each macronutrient you should consume to gain muscle mass. Check it out
Plyometric Training Articles
Stack explained Master the Stretch-Shortening Cycle to Sprint Faster and Jump Higher the role of the SSC (stretch-shortening cycle) in plyometric training and how to effectively train the SSC.
Power Training Articles
Speed Training Articles
Olympic Lifting Articles
Starting Strength discussed The Hook Grip – how to set up with shorter fingers a great tutorial for those who want to learn the Hook Grip for the Olympic Lifts or Deadlifting. Check it out
- Strategies for Becoming a Control Freak: A Necessity in Weightlifting a 5-step process to give you the best chances of optimal performance in competition.
- Ask Greg: Getting Over Fear in the Snatch receiving and stabilizing a heavy weight over your head can be quite scary, Greg gives his advice for overcoming this fear.
Juggernaut Training Systems explained Time to Fixation, outlining the importance of minimizing the time to fixation for success in the Olympic Lifts, common technical flaws in the time to fixation and corrective exercises to train to minimize the time to fixation, check it out
- Is Single-Leg Strength Training Right for You? providing an exercise library for unilateral and bilateral leg exercises and discussing the benefits of unilateral and bilateral leg training.
- How Bar Position Can Make or Break Your Front Squat the importance of the right grip for Front Squat success, as well as outlining a few important cues how to improve your Front Squat grip. Also, check out the different Front Squat grip variations in the article What is a Front Squat or the video tutorial (from minute 01:36)
Alan Thrall explained why Bloody Shins Are Not Cool – Deadlift Demonstration, what are common Deadlift mistakes, that will make your shins bleed. Check it out