Article recommendations week #9 2020
The most interesting and valuable articles of week #9 2020.
Strength Training Articles
The Athletic Build listed 3 Simple Rules to Build Muscle Mass, the most important considerations, the best exercises, and workout examples.
Calisthenicmovement outlined a Beginner’s Guide to 6 Pack Abs, what to eat, how to train, and the best exercises. Check it out
- You (Probably) Don’t Need to Train Arms, the discussion of whether you need direct arm training or not, isn’t new, however, this article gives guidelines how to determine, whether you need direct arm training or not.
- Training Variety vs. Consistency: Final Word, when you need to be consistent and when you need to add variety.
The Box Rox explained How to Build Muscle and Add Strength Cycles into CrossFit – Wendler 5/3/1, how the 5/3/1 works, and how to integrate it into your training program.
Elite FTS shared
- The Role of the Gut in Athletic Performance, the gut has received a lot of attention in recent years in the general public, here is an outline how gut health effects human performance.
- Overhead Press Strip Set, why to use strip sets, and a demonstration how to do it performing an Overhead Press. Check it out
- Dave Tate Exposes Fitness Hacks, outlining and discussing common fitness hacks and how to bust them. Check it out
Men’s Health described how to find your 1 RM and how to safely test it in the article How Maxing Out Can Help You Train Smarter.
The Bar Bend discussed
- fitness trends that need to go away like spot reduction, knees over toes, high reps for toning and spinal flexion in the article 5 Fitness Trends That Need to Go Away…FOREVER.
- Different Lower Body Training Volumes and Their Effects On Strength and Hypertrophy, looking at the results of a recent study outlining the ideal volume for muscular hypertrophy for the lower body.
- 4 Move Pull-Up Progression, how to progress your Pull-Up in 4 steps. Check it out
Breaking Muscle reviewed predictors of muscular potential, training guidelines for muscular hypertrophy, and the role of strength in hypertrophy. Check it out
- 5 considerations on How to Include Overhead Pressing Safely Into Your Training Program.
- 3 Crucial Communication Rules for Coaches, the importance of listening, non-verbal communication and effectiveness.
- 5 Contrast Exercises for Baseball Players to Dramatically Increase Rotational Power, what contrast training is and how to couple exercises to increase rotational power.
Picture Fit listed 4 Reasons Why Your Weight Loss Diet Sucks, discussing the most common problems why progress stagnates. Check it out
Olympic Lifting Articles
Aleksey Torokhtiy outlined Power Jerk Tips, how to progress towards a Power Jerk, the right technical key-points, and an impression from a massive Power Jerk from Aleksey himself. Check it out
Juggernaut Training Systems compared Static vs Dynamic Start, why the start position is crucially important, the difference between a static and dymanic start, the benefits and disadvantages of both variations, and who should use which one. Check it out
Catalystathletics discussed Contact vs No-Contact Muscle Snatch, the differences between the two variations, and what variation to use when. Check it out
The Box Rox outlined
- the benefits of Front Squats in the article Why All CrossFit Athletes Should be Doing More Front Squats, not only applicable for Crossfit athletes.
- How to Squat Properly: Bracing and Setup Technique, discussing common mistakes, movement and positioning, and the correct bracing sequence.
- 3 Squat Variations to Build Full Body Strength and Tackle Weaknesses, different squat variations and the purpose they serve.
T-Nation shared Tip: 5 Simple Steps to Better Squats and Deads, discussing breathing, tension in the trunk, breathing Squats and breathing Deadlifts, and adjusting load.
The Athletic Build listed 15 CrossFit Deadlift Workouts That Will Crush You, outlining workout combinations that include the Deadlift.
Highlights of the week
Some of my athletes had really good performances at the Track Cycling World Championships in Berlin last week.
Roy van den Berg, Harrie Lavreysen, Jeffrey Hoogland and Matthijs Büchli won the team sprint, congrats guys!
Sam Ligtlee won the gold medal in the 1-km Time Trial, congrats Sam!
Harrie Lavreysen also captured the World Championship title in the Keirin and the individual sprint. Jefrrey Hoogland placed second in the individual sprint. Congrats Harrie & Jeffrey.