The most interesting and valuable articles of week #52 2019.
Strength Training Articles
Picture Fit asked Can You Build Muscle and Burn Fat at the Same Time? Discussing the so-called phenomenon of body recomposition, demonstrating research supporting body recomp, and nutritional and training strategies to indice body recomposition. Check it out
Skiracing outlined In-Season Strength Training – Why, When, What, How? The benefits of strength training for ski racers, when to include it into the training and how to best execute it.
Stack listed 3 Things Strength Coaches Demand of Athletes Yet Often Forget Themselves, simple and straight-forward advice, that is often difficult to follow by athletes, and the people around the athletes.
Steffie Cohen explained The Most Effective Way To Gain Strength, what strength is, how muscle fibers work, and the adaptations following specific strength training interventions. Check it out
Elite FTS shared
- The 7 Pillars of Leadership, what are leadership qualities, that you can use as a coach.
- Evidence-Based Practice: Are You Really Ahead of the Curve? The word ‘evidence-based practice’ is around for some time, this article gives one perspective of what it means.
- December’s GPP for Your Business, an interesting view on the similarities between training and running a business.
- 8 Weeks to a Strong(er) Overhead Press, an 8-week plan to a stronger Overhead Press, step-by-step.
- Programming the Overly Complex Needs Assessment, an approach to goal setting and prioritizing.
- 17 Different Exercises w/ Resistance Bands, a selection of different exercises you can do with mini bands. Whilst most of the exercises probably only serve as warm-up exercises for any moderately trained individual, it shows the versatility of resistance bands. Check it out
Men’s Health demonstrated a Lunge progression in the article This Lunge Progression Workout Will Blow Up Your Legs, Lunges are sometimes difficult to learn and execute, here you can see one outline, to learn to Lunge.
The Strength House showed an exercise to teach and train a consistent bar path on the Bench Press. Check it out
Live Strong listed 4 Weight-Lifting Shoes to Uplevel Your Strength-Training Workouts, the benefits of weight-lifting shoes, and 4 picks that you can use.
Stronger By Science released a Year in Review, Effective Reps and Antioxidants Revisited, Behavior Change, and Mike Tuchscherer. Listen in
YLM Sports Science discussed Exercise Combinations That Are Most Effective To Prevent Lower Extremity Injuries In Team Sport Athletes
The Bar Bend shared
- Bill Kazmaier and the Birth of the Modern Strongman, the life and incredible feats of strength of Bill Kazmaier.
- 4 Combo Exercises To Freshen Up Boring Routines, what combo exercises are, the benefits of combo exercises, and 4 combos that you can use.
- Stefi Cohen’s 5 Favorite Hamstrings Exercises for Strong Legs, the anatomy of the hamstring, the importance of the hamstring for your big lifts, and how Stefi Cohen categorizes the hamstring exercises and the best exercises for each category. Check it out
Squat University outlined How to Fix IT Band Pain, an outline of the origins of the IT Band pain, and exercises to fix it. Check it out
Science For Sports listed 3 ways infographics can enhance your coaching and save you time, an interesting outline of why infographics work, a design outline, and the Science For Sports infographic bundle.
Shrugged Collective showed how to equip a garage gym, interesting how you can maximise the use of space and at the same time be fairly cost-effective. Check it out
Fitness FAQ explained How to Fix Rounded Shoulders with 1 exercise, how to use the reverse plank, the technical execution and how to progress and regress the reverse plank. Check it out
USA News Health released the Most Popular Diets of 2019, According to Google, the most popular diets people are searching for, what they are, and how they are supposed to work.
Starting Strength explained Why Creatine is Good for Masters Lifters, what creatine is and its’ role in the metabolism, the benefits of creatine, the contra-indication, what you can expect from creatine supplementation, and how to use it (not only for master lifters). Check it out
Olympic Lifting Articles
- Moving the Feet in the Snatch & Clean, actually a very common question, whether you should move the feet or have the same feet-width for the pull and the catch of the lift. And as always, the answer is not either or, but much rather dependent on various factors. Check it out
- What is Too Deep for the Jerk Dip? the rule of thumb for the dip, and important considerations for your individual dip depth, common flaws that show whether the dip is too deep, and training exercises to improve the efficiency of the dip. Check it out
Zack Telander discussed Split Jerk | Programming to your Weaknesses, the technical phases of the Split Jerk, and programming for a stronger Split Jerk. Check it out
Stack listed 3 Warm-Ups Moves for Your Best Squat Day Ever, whether they will guarantee the best squat day ever, I am not sure, but something to consider.
The Strength House explained the benefits of Zercher Squats, and how to execute Zercher Squats correctly. Check it out
The Bar Bend listed 10 Strategic Methods for Busting Through Deadlift Plateaus, how to identify a real plateau, and the right tactics to move past a plateau.