The most interesting and valuable articles of week #48 2019.
Strength Training Articles
University Herald outlined Strength Training Drives Better Running Performance strength training is often viewed as counter-productive for distance runnig performances, this article does a good job in outlining the benefits of strength training on running performance.
Stronger By Science outlined
- Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy is Real, but is it Relevant? Reviewing a recent study, that indicates that sarcoplasmic hypertrophy does occur.
- Glycogen Loading, Lower Back Pain, PowerBuilding, and Physical Culture with Ben Pollack. Listen in
Elite FTS shared
- Why Are We Doing This? The purpose and benefits of strength training, and practical experiences from different athletes.
- The Mind-Body Link: Posture Yourself Into a Winning Position, the importance of posture, the relevance for training, and how to improve posture.
- The End of My Era as a Strength and Conditioning Coach, an interesting piece how recent developments can influence the strength & conditioning industry.
Bodybuilding.com explained How to Protect Wrist & Forearms During Kettlebell Workouts, from the right grip, over bar path, or better kettle bell path, to sequencing arm and leg movement correctly. Check it out
Men’s Health described
- the benefits of sleep These Elite Athletes Say Sleep Is Their Secret Weapon, a selection of athletes and their sleep habits, what sleep does for you, and tactics to a better sleep.
- the tech trends for the next year in the article The Men’s Health Tech Guide 2020.
Shrugged Collective released how to Develop Mental Toughness in Special Operations Units, the tactics they use, and why people do it. Quick hint, you need to have the motivation for it. Check it out
Shape outlined an exercise progression stream towards a plank row in the article Master These Dumbbell Row Variations to Improve Your Posture and Strengthen Your Back.
Fitness FAQ demonstrated an exercise progression to fix a Weak Handstand Push Up. Check it out
- 5 Tips to Combat ‘Ego Lifting’ and Build Legit Strength, what ego lifting is, and what you can do against it.
- 2 Keys to a Better Barbell Hip Thrust, common hip thrust mistakes to avoid.
Starting Strength gave an Intro to Pain Science for Strength Coaches and Trainees with Will Morris, what pain science is, where it originated from, and interesting insights into the physical pain in relation to emotional strength. Check it out
Brute Strength described the importance of the Athlete-Coach Relationship in the recovery process, the importance of bi-lateral conversations, and effective use of technology. Check it out
Women’s Health outlined how to effectively use the 80-20 Rule in the article ‘I Lived By The 80-20 Rule—And I Lost 31kg’ I fully believe in the 80-20 Rule.
Bar Bend shared
- Beyond the Lat Pulldown: How to Fix Your Upper Back Deficiency, 5 exercise variations to replace the Lat Pulldown.
- Improve Hip Stability With This 4-Move IT Band Circuit, outlining the most important muscles for hip stability, and the right exercises to train these muscles. Check it out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Stack shared New Study Reveals What Actually Makes Youth Sports Fun for Kids, the results of a study and what makes sport fun for kids. Short but certainly interesting read.
T-Nation discussed why Red Meat: Not So Good For You… Unless, what you need to consider, when buying and preparing meat.
Picture Fit asked How To Eat Healthy During Holidays, why a bit more indulgence during holidays doesn’t harm, if you practicing the right habits during the rest of the year, and basic tips to not over-indulge. Check it out
Speed Training Articles
Simplifaster outlined Key Considerations for Implementing an Effective Sprint Training Session, an in-depth article on speed development.
Olympic Lifting Articles
Catalystathletics discussed the Rack Position for the Jerk, how it differes from the Clean Rack position, and what to do, if you lack mobility. Check it out
Aleksey Torokhtiy shared Episode #7: : Technique day & City tour, analysing individual areas of improvement, and addressing these areas with corrective exercises and drills. Interspersed with some fun footage and individual experiences of Aleksey’s athletic life. Check it out
T-Nation listed 7 Variations of the Hip Belt Squat, how to add different implements to vary the same exercise slightly.
Fitness Volt discussed Deadlifts for Bodybuilding and Power Lifting, commonalities, differences and important considerations in the article Bodybuilding vs. Powerlifting Deadlifts – Which One Is Right For You?
Catalystathletics asked RDL or Good Morning for posterior chain development? Discussing the relative importance of the posterior chain, when to use the Good Morning, and when to use the RDL Check it out
Highlights of the Week
And, Harrie Lavreysen won the sprint, congrats Harrie!