Article recommendations week #46 2019
The most interesting and valuable articles of week #46 2019.
Strength Training Articles
Fitness Volt explained Best Way to Build Muscle and Strength: The 5×5 CrossFit Program, what the 5 * 5 program is, how to execute it, and example training programs.
Elite FTS shared
- a piece on breathing techniques, how to learn them, and how to utilize the different techniques in the article Don’t Ignore Systemic Interplay.
- how to optimally train the rotator cuff and asked Are Bands a Bad Idea for Rotator Cuff Strengthening?
Runner’s World asked What Is Metabolic Conditioning and Why Should I Add It to My Training? What metabolic conditioning is, the benefits, and an example program.
Fitness FAQ demonstrated How to Build a Thick Back by adding accommodating resistance to the row. Check it out
The Box Rox took a look at a few different popular training programs
- the German Volume Training: A Great Way to Build Muscle, what it is, where it originated from and a sample program.
- the 5 * 5 program How to Build Muscle and Strength: The 5 x 5 Program.
- and how to organize a training into four training days in the article How to Build Muscle: The 4 Day Split Program.
Stack listed 5 External Cues That Elicit Great Exercise Form (And Why They Work So Well), what external cues are, why they work, and example external cues for selected exercises.
Shredded Sports Science claimed that Great Athletes Sell Garbage, how some supplements are marketed and sold. Check it out
Breaking Muscle outlined
- How To Use Ascending Reps To Build Size And Strength, what ascending reps are, and how they can help you. I am still a bit doubtful of this concept, however, this article presents some good arguments.
- the importance of single leg training in the article Double Your Leg Strength One Leg At A Time.
Aleksey Torokhtiy discussed the importance of Psychological Preparation, what it is, why it matters and how to train and improve it.
Body image in sports is an issue amongst athltes this article Olympic Gold Medalist Michelle Carter Knows That Athletes Come in Every Size from Popsugar gives a nice perspective from a successful athlete.
Robertson Training Systems released Christ Duffin Super-Human Strength, an interesting chat with one of the strongest individuals and founder and owner of Kabuki Strength. Listen in
The Bar Bend shared
- some interesting training questions around training trends, exercise selection, and training cycle planning and struture (and a few more) in the article Ben Pollack AMA: What Trend In Training Needs to Die, Best Exercise for Glutes, and More.
- the Dorian Yates Documentary to Be Released, I have been following Dorian Yates, when he was a competitive bodybuilder, I liked his common sense approach to training and his desire to leave no stone unturned.
- 1 1/2 Reps | This Training Tool Is Seriously Underutilized, what 1 1/2 reps are, how they can be used, the benefits, and suitable exercises. Check it out
Alan Thrall explained that There’s more than one way to add volume, different ways to add volume, a bit of a lengthy video to be honest. Check it out
Complementary Training outlined an in-depth approach to Strength Training Planning for Combat Athletes & Exercise Selection.
Cricket World described the physical demands of the sport of Cricket and how to train for it in the article Demands on Fitness Varies in Three Different Formats.
Stack listed 20 Plank Variations That Actually Make You More Athletic, outlining different plank variations and how to perform them.
Youth Strength Training Articles
Stack listed 8 Mistakes I Made Training Youth Athletes (And What I Did to Fix Them), a really interesting outline of how to train youth athletes.
Bach Performance listed 4 Fatal Muscle-Building Pitfalls And What To Do Instead, typical mistakes in the nutrition and possible alternatives.
Picture Fit asked How Much Caffeine Do You Actually Need? Outlining the results of a new study on the optimal quantity for endurance and strength performances. Check it out
The Bar Bend compared Best Nutritional Cookbooks, the different books and the pros and cons of each book.
Speed Training Articles
Outside Online explained why Even Endurance Athletes Need to Sprint, how to use the sprint reserve to improve your endurance capacity.
Stack outlined How a Unique Speed Training Program Flipped the Fortunes of Indiana Football, a data-driven approach to developing a speed training program.
Olympic Lifting Articles
- Heels Rising Early in Snatch or Clean Pull? Is it a bad thing, or when is it acceptable, and how to correct it. Check it out
- Is Injury in Olympic Weightlifting Inevitable? An interesting discussion looking at the topic of injury from different angles. Check it out
Aleksey Torokhtiy shared Episode #6: Clean & Jerk PR Session, more impressions of his weightlifting training camp, how to gear up towards max attempts. Check it out
Robertson Training Systems asked Do You Squat Basketball Players for Strength or Power? Discussing how to use the Squat during different phases, and how to train for different goals. Check it out
The Strength House discussed Shin Angle for Split Squats and Lunges, how to find the right shin angle and different progressions for Split Squats, Lunges, and Step-Ups. Check it out
Elite FTS explained The Most Common Causes of Hip Shift in the Squat & Deadlift, a straight-forward common sense approach. Check it out
Squat University looked at the topic of Hip Mobility for a Perfect Squat. Check it out
Latestly released a simple, but straight-forward piece on the different Deadlift variations and how to use them in the article Deadlift Workout and Its Types: Why You Shouldn’t Skip This Posterior Chain Exercise Important For Lean Muscle Mass Development.
Shrugged Collective listed 4 Simple Deadlift Variations To Add To EMOM Workouts. Check it out
The Strength House demonstrated a way of Setting Up Band-Resisted Deadlifts, a simple way to set-up your bands. Check it out