The most interesting and valuable articles of week #40 2021.
Strength Training Articles
The Athletic Build asked Why Athletes Take Ice Baths for Recovery: Do They Work? What ice baths are, what they do, what the research says, and how to use them.
Mario Tomic listed the 5 Worst Lifting Mistakes You Need To Avoid, common mistakes, and what to do instead. Check it out
Elite FTS shared
- The Key to Getting Stronger, and why hypertrophy isn’t as important as you might think, or you might have been told. Check it out
- Why You’re Wrong About Exercise Progressions, the different options of progressions, and what to choose when.
Fitness Volt explained How to Train Effectively in Less Time, considerations for what to do if you are short on time.
Lift Big Eat Big described the Perfect The Overhead Press, the technical execution, benefits, variations, workout, and much more.
Lifting Explained released Hypertrophy Training Mistakes, discussing full range vs partial range, exercise selection, advanced techniques, such as partial reps and drop sets, and understanding your training level. Check it out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Stack described the benefits of Animal Movements and Young Athletes, what animal movements are and what they can do for youth athletes.
The Bar Bend released
- The Best Pre Workout Supplements of 2021, best pre workouts for men, for women, for loosing weight, as well as gaining weight. Check it out
- The Best Protein Powders of 2021, best protein powders for men and women, vegan and non-vegan, keto, organic and best budget. Check it out
- The Best Whey Protein Powders You Can Buy in 2021, what whey protein can do for you, best for men and women, weight loss and weight gain, and different whey protein sources. Check it out
Renaissance Periodization discussed
- Long Term Muscle Gain, the main considerations for long-term gains. Check it out
- Targeting Belly Fat and Loose Skin, the idea of spot reduction is not very new, here it’s discussed (again). Check it out
Olympic Lifting Articles
Aleksey Torokhtiy listed the Top 5 Tips For Snatch And Power Snatch, the most common mistakes and how to fix them.
Catalyst Athletics explained How To Fix Your Sloppy Lockout in the Jerk & Snatch, and how to use every repetition with a maximum intent to improve technique. Check it out
Juggernaut Training Systems asked Should Weightlifters Wear Straps? A straightforward and common sense approach to using straps. Check it out
Squat University explained How To Improve Your Clean & Snatch by fixing the start position. As the saying in the weightlifting communities goes, the big lifts are won or lost in the start position. Check it out
Fitness Volt outlined How to Increase Squat Performance, listing 12 ways to increase your squat.
Elite FTS listed 5 Ways You Should Be Working on Your Butt Wink, the butt wink is a common problem, here are some ways to address it. Check it out
American Football International shared a Deadlift guide Master The Deadlift For Muscle, Raw Strength, And Power, Deadlift technique, muscular activation, the benefits, different Deadlift variations, common mistakes, and how to fix them, and Deadlift alternatives.
Highlight Of The Week
We saw some more outstanding performances at the European Track Cycling Championships 2021
View this post on Instagram
The Women’s Team Sprint, with Shanne Braspennincx, Hetty van de Wouw, Kyra Lamberink, and Steffie van der Peet, made a good start by not only winning the event but also setting a new world record
Roy van den Berg, Harrie Lavreysen, Jeffrey Hoogland, and Sam Ligtlee won the team sprint.
Harrie Lavreysen won the Sprint event, Jeffrey Hoogland placing second. Shanne Braspennincx won the Women’s sprint, Jeffrey Hoogland won the 1 km time trial, and the Keirin event.
Congrats to all athletes for their amazing performances!
I have released the next lectures from my mini-course on training principles
- training principles lecture 3 ‘The Training Principle Of An Optimal Stimulus’
- training principles lecture 4 ‘The Training Principle Of Progressive Overload’
And you can get all the information (videos, transcripts, slides, handouts and audios) for free, just sign-up for the free mini course Training Principles Made Simple.