Article recommendations week #38 2019
The most interesting and valuable articles of week #38 2019.
Strength Training Articles
Music Snake listed The 10 Strongest People of All Time, pretty cool read.
Renaissance Periodization discussed Optimal Rep Ranges for muscle growth, the underlying principles of muscle growth, different muscle fiber types, rep ranges to train the different fiber types, and different techniques to target different fiber types. Check it out
- a piece outlining The Science of Muscle Recovery: A New Approach to the Post-Workout Window, what influences recovery and where recovery fits into the overall picture of a training session design.
- Common Fitness Myths Busted: Creatine, Exercise, & Diets, discussing can exercise can outweigh a bad diet, muscle turns into fat, spot reduction, will women get bulky, when lifting weights, fasted cardio, is soreness an indicator of effectiveness, and a few more. Check it out
Breaking Muscle outlined
- Is Training To Failure Right For You? Discussing the potential benefits of training to failure, which population can benefit from training to failure, and for what training goal training to failure is appropriate.
- Lateral Movement Training, the benefits of lateral movement training, how to warm up for it, and appropriate exercise selection.
- The Practice Of Natural Movement, what natural movement is, and why it’s worth considering to integrate it into training in some form.
Men’s Health explained how to get Get Lean, Get Strong, Get Endurance: How To Train According To Your Goals.
The Strength House demonstrated the execution of the Barbell Z Press. Check it out
- How To Build Superhero Muscle, an A – Z outline how to build muscles, training fundamentals, nutrition, and workouts.
- a Tip: How to Get Your Very First Pull-Up, an ouline of exercise progressions to finally get your first pull-up.
- a Tip: Is This Thing Worth Using? Looking at the use and benefits of the arm blaster, and what to do, if you don’t have an arm blaster.
Complementary Training outlined the different variables you need to consider, when you put your set and rep scheme together in the article Strength Training Manual: Planning – Part 3.
Jeff Nippard discussed How To Build A V-Tapered Back: Lat Training Dos and Don’ts, the muscular activation of the Lat Pull-down, the correct technique of the Pull-down and typical errors, and how to correct them. Check it out
The Bar Bend shared
- The Definitive Guide to Picking a Powerlifting Coach, what questions to ask, what certifications to look for, and how their current athletes are performing.
- 5 Unique Biceps Exercises to Use for Mass and Strength, following up on last week’s video outlining the exercises, here now the written version.
- What Do Lifters Mean When They Say “Bend the Bar” In the Bench Press? A very common Bench Press cue, what it means and how to execute it. It’s worth noting, that a cue like this (and other similar cues) do not work for everyone, hence my advice as a coach, if it doesn’t seem to work, don’t try to hard to make the cue work, make sure to make the Bench Press work.
- Building a Fitness Brand with Sean Pastuch, an interested chat of a personal trainer’s story, from start to now. Check it out
Stronger By Science discussed Effective Reps, Antioxidants, Optimal Training Volume, and Lauren Colenso-Semple, listen in.
- the benefits of The ‘Phantom Step-Up’: Why This Unorthodox Exercise Is Amazing for Athletes, what the Phantom Step-Up is, and what it can do for you.
- what ‘Sport-Specific’ Training May Not Be What You Think It Is, another look at the ever-present discussion of sport specificity. Als check out my article on the topic What is Sport Specific Training.
Squat University listed the Top 3 Ankle Mobility Exercises, how to assess ankle mobility, the best exercises, and how to execute them. Check it out
Elite FTS discussed
- a few ‘weird trends’ (their own words) that have entered intostrength & conditioning in the last 15 years, and whether they do make sense or not, in the article To Hell With Ankle Mobility…
- Key Indicator Lifts for a Big Bench, for are the critical exercises you need to do for a bigger Bench. Check it out
- the Problems With Sports Coaches, strength coach Matt Rhodes talks from his experience on coaching athletes, and the difficulties of managing expectations of sports coaches. Check it out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Yahoo Lifestyle discussed the evergreen question Does Lifting Weights Stunt Growth in Teens?
The Bar Bend outlined how one of the best strongmen in the world eats in the article The Ultimate Insider’s Guide to Thor Bjornsson’s Diet.
Men’s Health discussed Low-Carb Vs. Keto: What You Should Know, the differences between the two, and appropriate food sources for each diet.
Broscience listed 7 Proven Benefits of Supplementing With Collagen, what collagen is, the functions of collagen, and how it can help as a supplemenet.
Picture Fit looked at the current research if CBD Can Improve Muscle Gains? What CBD is, what it does, and can the recent popular claims be backed up. Check it out
Plyometric Training Articles
Stack explained Why Your Big Vertical Jump Isn’t Showing Up During Games, outlining interesting study results, that the way to achieve the best vertical height in a jump test, and the way you jump in a match is different.
Bodybuilding.com outlined How To Do Medicine Ball Slams & 12 Best Slam Variations, the basic technique, common errors, and different variations. Check it out
Speed & Agility Training Articles
Power Athlete HQ explained the physiological and psychological benefits of speed and agility training in the article The Importance Of Sprint & Agility Work For Weightlifter, not only for weightlifters though.
Box Rox outlined The Vital role of Speed, Agility and Coordination for all Athletes, the benefits of speed and agility, different speed and agility tests, and example exercises.
Robertson Training Systems discussed all thing speed , linear and lateral speed, change of direction, spatial awareness, and much more. Listen in
Olympic Lifting Articles
- the right pressure on the foot during the 1st pull & second pull in the article Ask Greg: Rocking to Heels in Pull & Staying Flat-Footed.
- what exercise you should do, if you have Medial Elbow Pain from Weightlifting. Check it out
- if Master athletes should train differently, and what the variable you can tweak are. Check it out
Aleksey Torokhtiy shared an interview with Dmitry Chumak, ukranina’s number one weightlifter at the moment.
Breaking Muscle demonstrated the basic technique for beginners, and exercise progressions
- for the Snatch
- for the Clean
Zack Telander explained
- How To Begin Weightlifting pt. 2 | Programming, the most important thing for any beginner, how to put an effective training week together, and the main variables you should worry about as a beginner (as well as the ones you shouldn’t worry about). Check it out
- how to coach the set-up in the Snatch. Check it out
One thing I have to date not mastered is to understand the value of a Sissy Squat, and I have tried very hard to understand, and continue to trying to comprehend its’ value. Considering a few credible sources emphasize the value of this exercise, it makes me believe, I have to understand it better. Elite FTS demonstrated how to DIY Sissy Squats. Check out the additional explainer video
The Bar Bend listed 3 Split Squat Variations For Stronger Quads, how you can vary the equipment and foot position, to tweak the regular Split Squat variations.
The Strength House demonstrated the execution of the Frankenstein Front Squat, and the benefits of this exercise variation. Check it out
If you have followed the content on this website a bit, you know, that I am using the Handsfree Front Squat or Frankenstein Squat with my athletes to learn the squat pattern, and also consolidate the squat pattern with our Olympians. You can find some examples here.
Elite FTS shared Romanian Deadlifts Revisited: How to Appropriately Apply The Hinge, a step-by-step outline how to do a proper RDL.
The Strength House outined the execution and benefits of the Snatch Grip RDLS. Check it out