The most interesting and valuable articles of week #34 2019.
Strength Training Articles
Progressing Dips or Push-Up is sometimes challenging, Bodybuilding.com outlines how to progress and regress both exercises. Check it out
Breaking Muscle explained
- Cut Body Fat Using Methodized Strength Training, the important considerations in your strength training program to lose body fat. Also check out the guide to strength training and fat loss.
- the benefits of controlling the cadence of repetitions in the article Add Tempo To Your Training To Optimize Performance.
YLM Sports Science released an interesting infographic on the role of sleep for endurance performance, comparing restricted sleep vs normal sleep vs extended sleep in the article Banking Sleep To Optimize Endurance Performance In Competition.
Jeff Nippard listed 7 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Lifting, an interesting blend of experience, lessons learned, and some of these and what the scientific literature says about some of the lessons learned. Check it out
The Bar Bend shared
- 5 Overhead Exercises to Increase Shoulder Strength and Stability, a selection of different overhead exercises and what they do for you.
- the benefits of the kneeling position in the article Why You Should Try Lifting Weights from a Kneeling Position More Often
Bach Performance explained how to manipulate the main training variables to avoid injuries in the article Six Foolproof Ways To Avoid Weightlifting Injuries.
Elite FTS released
- how to wrap your wrists for the big 3 in the article Dave Tate’s Definitive Guide for Wrapping Wrists. Check out the additional explainer video
- Matt Rhodes’ Advice to Young Strength Coaches, a really good outline of a coach, what has worked for him, his experiences, and what young coaches should learn from that. In addition coach Rhodes shares what he is looking for in applicants for strength interns, or strength coaches. Check it out
Men’s Health listed 15 Fitness Podcasts to Get You Pumped for the Gym, a list of interesting podcasts, and a short outline, what you can expect of each podcast.
Sarting Strength described why Functional Training is a Waste of Everybody’s Time, why you do training, what you want to achieve with your training, and questioning the role of functional training. Check it out
Fitness FAQ claimed Muscle Ups Are a Waste Of Time and what to Do This Instead!, the common Muscle Up mistakes, how to fix them, the technical phases of the Muscle Up, and how to train the different phases. Check it out
Stack asked Are We Building Better Athletes or Just Weight Room All-Stars? Discussing the role and the responsibility of strength and conditioning coaches, and where it sometimes goes wrong.
Youth Strength Training Articles.
YLM Sports Science outlined the benefits of Late Spezialization: The Key To Success In Centimeters, Grams Or Seconds Sports.
Elite FTS explained how to Build a Professional Rugby Team Through This Academy Program, a detailled article on a long term development plan for rugby players. The concepts can be taken and applied to any sport.
asked Have Young Athletes Really Changed? Discussing new developments, and the role of communication in training young athletes.
Power Training Articles
- How Contrast Training Can Create More Explosive Soccer Players, what contrast training is, potential exercises to combine, and set and rep schemes.
- how to get the benefits of explosive training without the use of the olympic lifts in the article The Easy Alternative to Olympic Lifts That Can Get Anyone More Explosive.
Olympic Lifting Articles
- the benefits of the olympic lifts for sports performance in the article Are the Olympic Lifts Helpful for ALL Athletes?
- how to Find Your Snatch Grip Width, the important considerations for the right contact point and the wrist position to get the right overhead position. Check it out
The Bar Bend shared
- How Many Times a Week Should You Train the Olympic Lifts? Discussing what is the ideal training frequency and how to determine it, and example programs for different training intensities.
- 5 Exercises to Strengthen a Lagging Jerk, the reasons why your jerk might be lagging, and exercises to address it.
- Are weightlifting shoes worth it? The Truth, discussing the benefits of weightlifting shoes, who needs them and why, and who doesn’t need them. Check it out
Men’s Health asked Do You Really Need to Wear Knee Wraps to Squat? What knee wraps do and if this is aligned with your training goal.
Fitness Volt shared The Hack Squat: Target Muscles, Benefits, Exercise Instructions, And Variations, an in-depth guide on the hack squat, benefits, muscular activation, technical considerations and exercises variations.
Swimming World described Swimmer Strength Tech Tip: Squat Problems, common squat problems of swimmers outlined. Check it out
Robertson Training Systems compared Trap Bar Deadlift vs Barbell Deadlift, how the differences between the 2 deadlift variations influence set-up and movement execution. Check it out
Bodybuilding.com shared Stephanie Sanzo Deadlifting Routine, discussing different deadlift variations, how to execute them, and common flaws and how to correct them. Check it out