Article recommendations week #34 2020
The most interesting and valuable articles of week #34 2020.
Strength Training Articles
T-Nation released The Big Arms Blueprint, 10 Rules, and 6 Lifts for bigger arms.
Renaissance Periodization shared
- When Should You Use Intensity Techniques, the topic of intensity techniques is often discussed in the context ‘the more, the better’, which unfortunately is not correct. This lecture does a good job at outlining how to use them, and how to not use them. Check it out
- Why Weight Training is Crucial for Fat Loss, why weight training is important for fat loss, and how to structure your training for fat loss effectively. Check it out
- also, check out the article Only 3 Things You Need To Know About Strength Training and Weight Loss, that discusses the whats, hows and whys of strength training for weight loss in detail.
- Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced Hypertrophy, outlining how to determine whether you are a beginner, intermediate or advanced, and how to train differently based on your training level. Check it out
The Running Magazine outlined How to differentiate between an injury and harmless discomfort, why it is important to differentiate between the two, and how to do it.
- also, check out the interview ‘If you are well prepared, luck will follow you.’ with double Olympian Christina Illum Scherwin, where Christina outlines the importance of understanding the difference between pain and discomfort.
Cycling news listed fundamental Tips to improve your cycling power, including the importance of training consistency, proper planning, and strength training.
Juggernaut Training Systems demonstrated
- their Favorite Back Exercises
- their Favorite Chest Exercises
The PTDC shared The Secret to Scaling Your Online Business Beyond 10 Clients, keys to scaling beyond the first few clients, building your confidence, the importance of honesty in conversations with your clients, and why everyone has different comfort levels in deep conversations. Listen in
Coach Mag listed The Best Exercises For Strengthening Your Lower Back, why you need a strong low back, and how to train it.
Calisthenicmovement demonstrated The 8-Week Pull-Up Challenge Everyone Can Do, outlining different exercise progressions and training programs. Check it out
And once you have mastered the Pull-Up as demonstrated above you can set a new challenge and learn The One Arm Pull-Up as outlined from FitnessFAQs. Check it out
The Bar Bend described
- the benefits of working with a sports psychologist in the article I Hired a Sports Psychologist for Weightlifting, and This Is What I Learned.
- What Kettlebells Can and Can’t Do For You, the unique benefits of kettlebells, the limitations of training with kettlebells, different styles of KB training and programming considerations. Check it out
T-Nation asked Does Muscle Growth Require More Calories? Discussing if everyone needs a calorie surplus for accelerated gainz.
Bodybuilding.com discussed What Are Intra-Workout Supplements, Intra-workout refers to during the workout, hence they discuss which supplements you can use during the workout and how they could potentially help. Specifically, they discuss the role of water, electrolytes, carbs, amino acids and caffeine. Check it out
Power Athlete HQ shared Macros 101: What You Need To Know about the 3 macro-nutrients.
Barbell Shrugged explained How to Find a High-Quality Fish Oil, an interesting chat on the pitfalls when choosing fish oil. Check it out
Power Training Articles
Starting Strength discussed When Can You Start Training For Power, making a point that power is a function of strength and largely dependent on genetics. I am not sure, if I agree with the approach, that there is no need to train for power. Check it out
Olympic Lifting Articles
Zack Telander explained Why Mat Fraser is CrossFit’s Greatest Weightlifter, what makes Matt Fraser a good weightlifter for a Crossfitter. Check out the analysis
Juggernaut Training Systems demonstrated the Basics of the Jerk, learning the Jerk in 8 steps. Check it out
T-3 explained How to squat properly: expert advice from a fitness professional, a simple straightforward outline of the Squat, Squat variations, and useful stretches.
Starting Strength demonstrated the Starting Strength Back Squat style in the video Learning to Squat. Check it out
T-Nation shared how to Fix The Most Common Squat Mistake, what the most common mistake is, and how to fix it.
The Bar Bend outlined Relearning How to Brace for Heavy Lifting, the importance of bracing, and how to brace.
Box Rox described the benefits of Front Squats and how to program effectively in the article Power, Strength and Engine Building Front Squat Workouts for CrossFit Athletes.
T-Nation shared a Tip: The Posture Fixer and Deadlift Booster, using the reverse plank, an underutilized exercise, to strengthen your posterior chain.
Tony Gentilcore outlined a 60 Second Deadlift Tip: Squeeze The Orange, how to get the right set-up. Check out the additional explainer video
Elite FTS discussed An Underrated Training Tool: Timed Deadlift Sets, what timed Deadlift sets are, how they work, and how they can help you.