The most interesting and valuable articles of week #32 2019.
Strength Training Articles
Joe.co.uk explained Why Training Like A Powerlifter (Not A Bodybuilder) Builds Maximum Muscle Mass, why the use of planning and your progress is important.
Bodybuilding.com showed how to Build Bigger Arms with Supersets, supersets are a really good method, if your goal is hypertrophy. However, I believe the exercise selection in this video could be a bit better, if the goal is bigger arms. Check it out
YLM Sports Science demonstrated different variations to elicit a PAP (post activation potentiation) effect in the article and infographic Resistance Priming To Enhance Neuromuscular Performance.
Jeff Nippard explained
- How To Do The Good Morning Exercise With Perfect Technique (Glutes, Back and Hamstrings), the muscular activation, exercise technique (set-up- grip, bracing, descent and ascent), common mistakes, and benefits of the Good Morning. Check it out
- Benching With The Feet Up Increases Chest, Tricep and Core Activation, looking at some recent research comparing EMG analysis of benching with the feet up vs benching with feet down, and the practical application of the study results. Check it out
Elite FTS outlined
- The Characteristics of Mastery, listing 4 qualities to achieve mastery.
- The Definition of Insanity, as Albert Einstein said, ‘Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.’
- Ed Coan and Dave Tate Discuss Training Weak Points, Ed Coan is unarguably one of the greatest in his sport, so I really like to listen to him and his training advice. Check it out
Ultra Running explained why Consistency is King, not only applicable for running.
Calisthenicmovement Sshowed how to Start Calisthenics With This 30 DAYS Workout! A comprehensive demonstration of exercise selection, progressions of exercises, and program design. Check it out
Men’s Health released
- How to Do Good Mornings to Build Stronger Legs, the benefits of the good morning and the technical key points. We actually use the good mornings less as a direct leg builder, but much rather than as a means to strengthen the lower back, which will allow to squat heavier in the long run.
- an interview with Tom Brady, discussing his workout, diet, focus, and his goals for the new season in the article Why Tom Brady Will Never Quit.
The Bar Bend compared Flat vs Incline vs Decline Bench Press: Choosing for Your Goals, discussing the benefits of each variation, muscular activation, and who should choose which variation. Check it out
Stack listed 5 Simple Hacks You Should Be Using WhenTraining a Team in the Weight Room, useful exercise selection to work with larger groups.
The Personal Trainer Collective released Nick Tumminello’s Hamstring Hat-trick, Grow Your Hamstrings, 2 example tri-sets to grow your hammies, a bi-lateral and a uni-lateral. Check it out
Shredded Sports compared Science Machines vs. Free Weights For Muscle Growth and Which Is Better? Looking at the benefits of machines vs free weights, the current research, the shortcomings of the current research, and the future research needed. Check it out
Breaking Muscle explained
- how to Bulletproof Your Ankles, the importance of the ankle for most sporting activities and how to target your ankle in the warm-up.
- the StrongFit: Principles of Movement, an interesting talk about training fundamental movements, reinforcing learning and constant learning, and a bit of movement philosophy. Check it out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Stack outlined What Young Athletes Get All Wrong About Trying to Gain Weight, simple considerations and tips for youth athletes.
Aleksey Torokhtiy listed The Top 5 Products For Muscle Gain, the favourite food sources of Aleksey Torokhtiy.
PictureFit outlined How To Take Creatine (Build Muscle and Strength) | Loading and Cycling, discussing, when to load, and when not, and when and how to take it. Check it out
Men’s Health showed Here’s What Tom Brady Eats Every Day, the eathing habits of american football’s greatets.
T-Nation explained How To Make Any Diet Work, outlining the steps to adhere to your diet.
Elite FTS released Nutrition Expert Justin Harris Explains Carb Cycling, a very good, simple and short overview of what carb cycling is, and what it does. Check it out
Speed Training Articles
Stack released a very simple cue for your athletes to sprint faster in the article The Weird Sprinting Cue That Actually Works.
Elite FTS shared The Definitive Guide to Hill Sprints, the benefits of hill sprints, safety considerations, technical key points, the application for speed development, and some examples of athletes who used hill sprints successfully. Check out the additional explainer video
Olympic Lifting Articles
Catalystathletics explained how to Fix Patellar Tendinitis for Olympic Weightlifting, from a sorough analysis, over warm-up considerations, additional rehab work, and the use of medication. Check it out
The Bar Bend listed 6 Squat Variations to Use When Barbell Back Squatting Is Not An Option, the benefits of back squats, what to do, if you don’t have a barbell, and what to do when you are recovering from an injury.
Starting Strength explained Why Ass to Grass Squats Don’t Use the Longest Effective Range of Motion, Mark Rippetoe’s outline, why ROM (range of motion) isn’t the only thing to look at, and discussing the idea of ‘effective’ ROM. Check it out
Stack discussed Why Almost No One Should Straight Bar Deadlift, the difficulties of the regular deadlift, and the benefits of other deadlift variations.
Breaking Muscle listed 5 Exercises To Improve Your Deadlift, a set of exercises targeting different areas to improve your deadlift.
Elite FTS shared Joe Sullivan Heavy Deadlift Session, a bit lengthy, but definitely a few good tips in there. Check it out