The most interesting and valuable articles of week #29 2020.
Strength Training Articles
Fitness Volt outlined how to get a bigger Bench in the article Developing Strength With The Powerlifting Bench Pyramid Program (Spreadsheet), discussing volume, exercise selection including accessory work, technical key points, and a sample training program.
Livestrong shared The Ideal Set and Rep Scheme to Build Bigger Biceps — and the Best Exercises to Try, how to train for a bigger biceps and the best exercises (I believe they do miss some of the best exercises here actually).
BoxRox explained How to Build Muscle with the Highly Effective 6 Day Split Program, what hypertrophy is, different split options, and a sample 6-day split.
Bonvec Strength released a great piece on Core Training that goes into anatomy and function of the core muscles, how to train them effectively, and how that applies to the big lifts in the article Core Training for Powerlifters, not only for Powerlifters.
Renaissance Periodization shared
- Should you train to failure? Is training to failure necessary, how to structure your training for optimal results without training to failure. Check it out
- Principled Thinking, what principles are and how to use them, how to rank training principles and how to evaluate the principles. Check it out
- Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced Hypertrophy Training Differences, defining the differences between beginner, intermediate and advanced, the different trainings and what results can you expect when. Check it out
Men’s Health outlined
- How Olympic Swimmer Ryan Murphy Trains for Gold, the importance of strength training for swimmers, and the influence of the Olympic postponement.
- the purpose of the Kettlebell Swing, how to execute it correctly, and what to avoid in the article If You’re Squatting in Your Kettlebell Swing, You’re Doing It Wrong.
Tech Republic took a look into the future and explains Why the gym of the future is your living room.
Jeff Nippard released The Most Effective Full Body Workout: Leg Focused, an outline of how to program a full-body program with a focus on the lower body. Check it out
T3 described how to get big arms with the biceps Push-up in the article How to get big arms: the bicep push up could be the killer move.
Men’s Health outlined How to Use AMRAP Workouts in Your Routine, the benefits of AMRAP (as many reps as possible), and how to use them effectively.
Runners World demonstrated Heres Exactly How to Do a Lunge, how to do a lunge, plus different lunge variations and how to execute them.
Coach Mag suggested a few action steps on How To Prepare Your Body For Gyms Reopening.
James Grigson outlined living Abroad as a Strength Coach, Tips to Save Money & That Viral Warm-Up with Rett Larson, an interesting chat with an experienced Strength & Conditioning Coach, aka Rett Larson. Check it out
- also check out my interview with Rett Larson ‘When you are willing to be flexible and move around, opportunities will open up.’
Power Athlete HQ outlined the basics of nutrition and weight loss and gave their own spin to it in the article Your Guide To Metabolic Investing.
T-Nation explained that There Are Only 3 Types Of Diets, the pros, and cons of each, and which one works for you.
Elite FTS outlined the concept of Carb Cycling to Get Shredded, I don’t know why, but it seems this concept isn’t very well known, however, it’s highly effective.
Olympic Lifting Articles
The Barbell Physio listed The 8 Best Snatch Mobility Movements for a better Snatch.
Juggernaut Training Systems outlined How to Design Weightlifting Programs, covering planning of the training, developing strength and explosiveness, and how transition effectively through the phases.
Catalystathletics explained why Pull Under Harder Does Not Mean Receiving Lower In The Clean And Snatch, how to pull under harder and the effect on the receiving position. Check it out
Squat University discussed a High Bar Vs Low Bar Squat, the differences between the two, the technical execution of both of them and which one is right for you. Check it out
Juggernaut Training Systems outlined the basics of the Squat
- The Set-up
- Breathing & Bracing
- The Descent
- The Ascent
Elite FTS discussed the Mechanics of the Squat and Expert Squat Tips with Dave Tate. Check it out
T-Nation listed 4 Easy Cues to Deadlift Perfection, how to get into the right position, and then execute flawlessly.