The most interesting and valuable articles of week #26 2019.
Strength Training Articles
Power Athlete HQ outlined The Mental Energy Systems Of A Coach, an interesting piece on the mental work a coach has to do.
Bodybuilding.com listed Top 10 Hamstrings Exercises, an interesting selection of hamstring exercises. Check it out
Men’s Health listed
- The 3 Types of Lifting Straps You Can Use for Huge Weight Room PRs, different types of lifting straps with their pro’s and con’s.
- The Highest Paid Athlete the Year You Were Born, only for the years 1979 and following…
Starting Strength released Revisiting the Barbell Row with Mark Rippetoe, I always like to see the unconventional ways starting strength performs their exercises, I would advise to do it exactly like this, however, you can always take something away. Check it out
- how strength coaches can effectively work with team coaches and the most common areas of discussion and disagreement in the article A Strength Coach’s Guide to Working with Team Coaches.
- The Science and Coaching of Sand Training, the pros, and cons of sand training and the practical application.
Fitness FAQ showed Instant Pancake Mobility, progressions on how to improve the pancake mobility drill. Check it out
The Bar Bend shared
- The Surprising Benefits of Doing Push-Ups In the Sand, how extra instability can help, and additional Push-Up progressions from the regular Push-Up.
- How to Deal With Fitness Information Overload (3 Rules to Live By!), the challenges of information overload and how to deal with it.
- 2 Isometric Training Methods For Stronger Powerlifts, what isometrics are and 2 different variations to improve your big lifts.
Barbell Medicine outlined How to Become a Great Strength Coach, an interesting discussion from a handful of coaches on their career pathway, considering it’s called great strength coach, it would be interesting to know, what the criteria are for someone to be a great coach. Check it out
Stack listed 4 Awesome Single-Leg Exercises You’ve Probably Never Tried, normally, if you get a title like this, it’s not too great, however, this article has some good variations.
Elite FTS described
- why you should Do the Stuff You Suck At, how to identify points for improvement and how to attack them.
- Strength and Conditioning is Failing: Our Relationship with Sports Coaches, an in-depth piece of the challenges of strength & conditioning coaches face with sports coaches.
- Comfort Zones are Death Zones, as the saying goes ‘ life happens outside your comfort zone’.
- the benefits of Crocodile Breathing, what crocodile breathing is, and how it can help the breathing and bracing maneuver. Check it out
Breaking Muscle shared an interview with Michele Letendre: World Class Athlete and Coach, a Crossfit athlete and Crossfit coach and her approach to train athletes. Check it out
Stronger By Science shared The Lifter’s Guide to Caffeine, an in-depth piece on caffeine, literally everything you need to know.
Shredded Sports Science asked Does Apple Cider Vinegar Burn Fat? Looking at the scientific evidence on apple cider vinegar and fat loss, the benfits of apple cider vingear, and necessary future research. Check it out
T-Nation compared Worthy vs. Worthless Vitamins: Your Guide, the most popular vitamins and whether you should take them or not.
Stack explained Why I Stopped Back Squatting My Athletes, a coach outlining the common challenges of the Back Squat and getting his athletes to squat properly.
Breaking Muscle outlined how to learn the squat pattern in the article The Secret To Your First Squat Is Feeling Great Doing It.
Olympic Lifting Articles
The Bar Bend listed 3 Common Snatch Mistakes, from hips shooting too fast, over swinging the bar and the weight crushing, plus exercises to fix these mistakes.
Catalystathletics explained the Snatch & Jerk Overhead Position – Shoulder Blades & Bar, how to get the right overhead position, how to align the rest of your body and what not to do. Check it out
Zack Telander released Olympic Lifting with Alan Thrall, Silent Mike, and more, whilst most of the footage isn’t that interesting (at least to me), I enjoyed the conversation with coach Don Ricci from minute 01:53 onwards, on what is ideal in coaching, and clustering the benefits of different coaching support services. Check it out
Breaking Muscle outlined the technical key point, common technical flaws and exercise progressions
- for the Kettlebell Clean
- for the Kettlebell Snatch
The Bar Bend discussed Romanian Deadlift Vs. Deadlift — Why You Need Both, looking at the biomechanical differences, the differences in the technical execution, the intent of the movement, programming consideration, and which one is better. Check it out
Highlights of the week
At the Minsk 2019 European Games our female track cycling team sprint grabbed the bronze medal, congrats Shanne Braspennincx, Kyra Lamberink and Hetty van der Wouw.
In the individual sprint, there was a repeat of the World Championship final between Harrie Lavreysen and Jeffrey Hoogland, this time Jeffrey Hoogland had the upper hand. Congrats Jeffrey and Harrie!
And last but not least, Harrie Lavreysen took the title in the Men’s Keirin. Congrats Harrie!