The most interesting and valuable articles of week #23 2019.
Strength Training Articles
Thibarmy outlined the Sticking Point Therapy: How To Blast Through Your Weakest Link! A really good piece on what the sticking point is, and different ways to overcome the sticking point.
- 5 Push-Ups for High-Performance, different variations of the push-ups.
- 3 Ideas to Help You Understand Technique, reasons for bad technique, and the different stages of technique acquisition and technical learning.
Bodybuilding.com explained The Science of Muscle Recovery: The Role of Active Recovery, what active and passive recovery is, why it is important and appropriate active recovery methods.
Breaking Muscle described how to Perfecting The Push-Up And Fixing The Common Faults, the correct technical execution, common technical flaws and how to correct them.
Shredded Sports Science asked Does Fat Help Win Fights? Discussing whether a higher percentage of body fat helps in combat sports. Looking at the different energy systems and how to train these energy systems. Check it out
- What Exactly Is Sport-Specific Training? And looking specifically at power development, conditioning, and rehab considerations.
- Why Better Rotation Is One of the Most Overlooked Ways to Increase Athletic Performance, the difference between rotating and twisting, how to effectively rotate, and appropriate exercises to train rotation.
NASM described the different planes of movement including exercise examples for each plane in the article Sagittal, Frontal & Transverse Planes Explained (With Exercises).
- How to Train Athletes Who Are Blind, a truly interesting piece on the different considerations when training blind athletes.
- Why Strength Coaches Need a Reverse Leg Press, the unique benefits of the reverse leg press and the potential results of its’ use.
Robertson Training Systems showcased Training Trunk Rotations in your Push Ups, the importance of trunk rotation and how to train them in a push-up. Check it out
Calisthenicmovement listed 3 Stretches You Should Do Every Day, what I like about the selected stretches, that they target multiple muscle groups in one movement. Check it ou
The Bar Bend shared
- 3 Common Overhead Press Mistakes and How to Fix Them, discussing stance, torso activation, the correct bar path, and elbow and wrist position.
- How to Do Muscle-Ups — Progressions, Benefits, and More, a technical outline and progression of the muscle-up, muscular activation, and the benefits of the muscle-up.
Elite FTS shared
- The Grand Unified Theory of Everything, an outline of different training methods and how to put all the pieces together.
- Do Women Need To Train Differently Than Men? Interesting points on when training needs to be different for different genders, and when not. Check it out
Picture Fit challenged a recent article which stated that Protein Shakes are Bad and can lead to health problems and depression. They looked a bit closer at the study and whether protein shakes are bad. Check it out
The Bar Bend asked
- How Strength Athletes Can Structure Low and Medium Carb Cycling Days, what carb cycling is and what it does, the different food choices for the different days, and example meal plans.
- Does Intermittent Fasting Affect Women Differently? Looking at different studies on the differences in intermittent fasting and its’ effect on weight loss between men and women and the influence on intermittent fasting on the hormonal status between the different sexes. Check it out
Bodybuilding.com gave a good overview of Carb Cycling for Fat Loss, how carb cycling works, and what it does. However, I would challenge the statement, that 10 years ago no one knew about carb cycling. I remember practicing it for myself in the year 2000. Check it out
The Strength Sensei discussed Is Fasting Right for Everyone? A nuanced discussion of who can benefit from fasting, and who shouldn’t fast.
Speed Training Articles
Juggernaut Training Systems released Speed Training Concepts with Les Spellman, a progression of speed training drills with the rational and explanation of the purpose of the exercises. Check it out
Olympic Lifting Articles
Aleksey Torokhtiy shared an Interview With Eduard Andrushkevich, giving insights into training an Olympic champion, training young athletes, how to detect talent and considerations for training the female athlete.
Catalystathletics outlined Starting Position for the Snatch & Clean, the stance, hip position, knee-width, and shoulder position in relation the bar. Check it out
Breaking Muscle listed 5 Common Squat Problems And How To Fix Them, discussing squat depth, knee valgus and varus, lower back alignment and the forward lean.
Starting Strength explained Why We Low Bar Squat, whether you agree with Starting Strength’s adamant approach on Low Bar Squatting or not, I do like the way they use training principles and biomechanics to rationalize their approach. Check it out