The most interesting and valuable articles of week #21 2019.
Strength Training Articles
Men’s Health explained if you Want to Get Bigger? Try Monster Sets. What monster sets are and how to use them effectively. As usual my word of caution, monster sets are an advanced training technique, that should be used planned and carefully.
The Bar Bend described
- 5 Types of Supersets and When to Use Them, what supersets are and how to use them, the pros and cons of supersets, and the different type of supersets and when to use them. As well as examples of different muscle groups.
- 5 Steps to Becoming a Great Powerlifting Coach, a good outline not only for powerlifting coaches
- Barbell Row — Form, Mistakes, and Variations, outlining the technical key points, common mistakes and different BB Row variations. Check it out
Elite FTS shared
- the importance of strength and strength training in the article Strength Training: Your Secret Weapon for Sport.
- How to Build a Mesocycle, the important considerations when looking at designing the mesocycle.
- Training for the US Marines, an insight into the demands of the training for the marines. Check it out
Calisthenicmovement discussed The Best Shoulder Workout Without Weights, outlining the complex functions of the shoulder and the muscle groups involved, and the exercises that you can target all parts of the shoulder. Check it out
Power Athlete HQ described The Sacrifices It Takes To Be A Great Coach, outlining the sacrifice of time, training, financial resources, and emotional attachment.
- also check out the interview with Olympic S & C coach Jorden Bres, who outlines, the sacrifices he did to get to where he is now.
- 6 Uncomfortable Thoughts About Exercise Form, a good piece on what good form is, and what it is not, and busting some common misconceptions.
- a Tip: The Purpose of the Leg Press, not many pieces of equipment are as polarized as the leg press. This article outlines a few benefits of the leg press.
Simplifaster explained How to Create a Warm-Up Inspired by Physical Education, starting with the goal of a warm-up, and then adding deliberately the elements you want to work on or develop.
Breaking Muscle discussed The Difference Between Discipline and Motivation with JC Deen, the challenges of personal training and online coaching, the importance of mentors, how to set goals, and the importance of discipline. Check it out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Science for Sports shared Early Sports Specialisation, what early sport specialization is, the potential problems of early specialization, how to monitor the young athlete, and some potential solutions.
Jeff Nippard listed 5 “Superfoods”, outlining whether the term superfood is actually appropriate and looking at the science behind these foods. Check it out
Picture Fit asked What is TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)? What the TDEE is, what alters your TDEE, how to calculate it, and how to use it for your training goals. Check it out
Olympic Lifting Articles
Catalystathletics outlined the Hierarchy for Learning the Olympic Lifts, the importance of developing position before movement, and movement before speed, and speed before loading. Check out the explainer video with a detailled explanation
Starting Strength shared A Comparison of Two Start Positions, demonstrating 2 different start positions of the Power Clean. Check it out
The Bar Bend listed 10 Unconventional Squat Variations to Build Stronger Legs, why you should squat in the first place, the muscular activation of squat movments, and different squat variations.
Elite FTS explained how to Improve Your 1RM Deadlift with These Variations, 7 elite lifters sharing their best pieces of advice to improve your dealift 1RM.
Robertson Training Systems outlined How to Trap Bar Deadlift, how to get into the right start position, and the main technical key points of the Trap Bar Deadlift. Check it out