The most interesting and valuable articles of week #15 2020.
Strength Training Articles
The Bar Bend listed 7 Tips For Maintaining Muscle Mass Without the Gym, discussing whether bodyweight exercises can maintain muscle mass, strategies to maintain muscle mass and how to manipulate training variables to stimulate muscle growth.
- What Makes a Great Strength and Conditioning Coach? Outlining the most important qualities of a coach and orders them by importance.
- What is The Difference Between Being ‘In Shape’ and Looking Shredded, a small but subtle difference.
Squat University outlined simple tests and corrective exercises to fix Knee Pain When Lifting. Check it out
TheDenver Broncos explained how they stay in shape during quarantine in the article How Loren Landow, the team’s head strength coach, plans to keep the Broncos ready for the season from afar.
Zack Telander showed different loading models based on the discussion of Joe Rogan and Pavel on the Soviet Weightlifting System. Check it out
Stronger by Science discussed Training Frequency, Reducing Caloric Intake on Rest Days, and Isometric Training. Listen in
Elite FTS explained
- Smart Fat Loss During a Pandemic, how to set fat loss goals and important phases to go through in the fat loss journey.
- how to Build Your Main Lifts with These Band Progressions, using 3 exercises and how to add bands for extra resistance to foster improvements. Check it out
Bonvec Strength collected 15 Articles to Help Your At-Home Workouts.
Renaissance Periodization shared
- Training for Flexibility and Mobility, what flexibility and mobility is, how to train it, and the relative importance for different sports. Check it out
- Training for Sports with Dr. James | Episode 1 | Q+A and Arm Wrestling Example, an in-depth discussion on how to train for sports performance. Check it out
Bodybuilding.com discussed an interesting topic related to intermittent fasting, what are the right foods to brake the fast in the article Intermittent Fasting: The Best Foods for Breaking a Fast. Considering different food sources have a different physiological reaction, that should be worth a consideration.
Speed Training Articles
Eric Cressey shared
- 4 Training Principles to Make the Most of Your Speed Work, important principles of speed training.
- CSP Elite Baseball Development Podcast: Speed Training with Lee Taft, if you hear the term speed, the name Lee Taft comes to mind, in this podcast they discuss movement patterns, youth speed training, speed training principles and the speed training application across different sports. Listen in
Olympic Lifting Articles
Starting Strength released Power Clean Series Part 4 – Reinforcing the Jump Position, using a top-down approach of getting the bar to the ground, whilst emphasising the correct execution of the jumping position, how they call it. Check it out
Elisabeth Oehler asked Olympic lifts for other sports? And discussing the value of the Olympic Lifts to improve sports performance, and who will benefit from the Olympic Lifts and who won’t.
Aleksey Torokhtiy explained
- The Snatch Turnover Theory, a mechanical analysis of the Snatch turnover, and the implications for training.
- How to max out social distancing: Training On The Roof, training impressions coupled with useful training tips. Check it out
- Fixing Early Second Pull, the reasons for a premature second pull, and corrective exercises to fix it. Check it out
- Olympic Weightlifting Self-Correction Tools, simple and straightforward advice with simple tools to use. Check it out
The Squat Jerk Journalist shared interesting footage of Tian Tao’s Full Warm-up for the 2019 IWF World Cup. Check it out
Elite FTS shared Squat Habits for Success, important considerations for a successful squat.
Life Hacker outlined an example of the bottom up approach to learn the squat movement in the article Learn To Squat Better By Practising The Movement Backwards.