Article recommendations week #14 2019
The most interesting and valuable articles of week #14 2019.
Strength Training Articles
Men’s Health explained How to Use Unilateral Exercises to Make Your Whole Body Stronger, why you should use unilateral exercises, and tips how to get started with them, and how to include them in your program.
Calisthenicmovement explained How to Build More Muscle in 6 Weeks, how to combine different rep ranges and different training goals within one training week, and the inclusion of calisthenics exercises. Check it out
The Bar Bend shared
- Study: Individualize Training Frequency for Better Strength and Hypertrophy, discussing the results of a study that compared the results of different training frequencies. The results of the studies indicate that different individuals need different training frequencies for better results, hence there are no one-size fits all training frequency.
- The Underrated Benefits of the Leg Press for Powerlifters, not many exercises are as polarized as the leg press, and the value of the leg press. This article does a good job at outlining what leg press can do for you, and what not.
Simplifaster listed Top 10 Exercises Strength Coaches Should Reevaluate, 10 exercises and exercise variations and the outline of why you should include them.
Juggernaut Training Systems shared Sport Performance Pillars | Energy System Training, discussing the different ways of developing and training different energy systems, how to train energy systems based on your sport and position, different conditioning drills, appropriate work to rest ratios, the right repetitions and sets. Check it out
Tony Gentilcore outlined his approach to Complete Overhead Press Warm-Up, using mobility and activation drills for your next Overhead Press training.
Jeff Nippard released his version of the April fool’s day joke and outlined Heavy Weight: The Only True Technique. Check it out
YLM Sports Science shared an infographic on the Challenges Of Sleep In Sport, from training and competition, over the use of electronic devices, to athlete’s behavior.
Robertson Training Systems explained Why Rotating Exercises Is Critical For Long-Term Success, outlining 4 reasons why to rotate exercises and 4 different option how to apply exercise rotation.
Brute Strength discussed Skills vs. Strength In Gymnastics ft. Nick Sorrel, the differences in strength vs skill in gymnastics, how to use gymnastics to improve performance, and a sneak peek into the Brute Strength Gymnastics program. Check it out
- Are You Ready to Barbell Overhead Press? Here’s How to Tell, what assessments you need to do, and the right exercise selection and exercise progression.
- if Taking a Short Rest After Every Rep May Be a Smarter Way to Strength Train, discussing the results of a study looking at cluster sets, and how to distribute intra-serial rest for better results.
Shrugged Collective shared Avoid Overtraining by Measuring HRV, Sleep, and Recovery w/ Whoop, a detailed discussion on all variables influencing recovery, how to monitor recovery, and how to make an informed decision for your training. Check it out
Picture Fit explained How To Keep the Weight Off After Losing It, discussing weight loss maintenance, the difficulties, and how to solve if. Check it out
Stronger By Science released The Metabolic Adaptation Manual: Problems, Solutions, and Life After Weight Loss, a truly ultimate guide on weight loss. Grab a cup of coffee, this guide takes some time to get through.
Renaissance Periodization shared The RP Diet 2.0 | Chapter 15 | Gut Health, the role of the gut in appetite control, what food choices are good for your gut health, and the current state of knowledge on gut health. Check it out
Plyometric Training Articles
Stack looked at the mechanics of efficient and effective jumping, as well as common mistakes in the article A World-Famous Jump Coach Reveals His Best Tips for Jumping Higher.
BoxRox listed 6 Ways to Build Explosive Strength & Power Out of the Hole, outlining accessory exercises, that can help you, as well as the possible reasons for why you get stuck in the hole.
The Bar Bend outlined 5 Beginner Friendly Squat Variations, why it is important to learn to squat, the muscular activation, and 5 progressive exercises to learn the squat, and train the squat.
Simplifaster explained that you need to Earn the Back Squat, the importance of learning the correct squatting pattern, before training the Back Squat, and a 3-step exercise progression to prepare for the Back Squat.
Elite FTS explained the Top 5 Accessory Exercises for the Squat — New for 2019, a selection of unilateral exercises, exercises for the posterior change and so-called work capacity drills.
Olympic Lifting Articles
Catalystathletics discussed Self-Reliance vs. Team Mentality in Weightlifting, the importance of a team in a sport, where you compete as an individual.
- also check out the interview with Olympic Coach Bas de Bever, who has created a team in a sport, where athletes compete as individuals. BMX Supercross and he had successfully athletes at the top of the sport for over a decade.
The Bar Bend released Romanian Deadlift Guide — Form, Muscles Worked, and Programming, the technical outline of the RDL, the benefits of the RDL, the muscular activation, and programming option, where do you put it into the progra, how many reps, and different RDL variations. Check it out