The most valuable and interesting articles in week #9 2018
Strength Training Articles
Elite FTS discussed
- the ever-recurring question Does Muscle Turn into Fat? by looking at the different cells and their function and concluding, why the idea of fat into muscle transformation persists.
- how to effectively brace in the article Understanding Bracing, also check out the video
- Table Talk — Conjugate Method Training Tips the application of the conjugate system, and how to balance max efforts, dynamic efforts, and repetition efforts. Check out the video
- Programming Isometrics For Powerlifting, deciding whether you should include isometrics or not, how to include isometrics into your programming and how to cycle it. Check it out
- a Tip: Steroids, Muscle Memory, and Fairness what muscle memory is and why it matters.
- a Tip: The Best Way to Boost Time Under Tension outlining that time under tension (TUT) has its’ place in training but just increasing TUT isn’t always the best thing.
Complementary Training outlined Force-Velocity Curves – the Good, the Bad, the Ugly which information the Force-Velocity curve can provide, and how to interpret testing results.
Military.com explained The Overload Principle: Concept and Uses in Tactical Fitness outlining how to apply the Overload principle to different training variables.
The Barbell Shrugged Podcast discussed Coaching is Coaching is Coaching, an interesting discussion about the in’s and out’s of coaching, Check it out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Simplifaster shared The Posterior Chain: A Modern Approach and Perspective how to develop the posterior chain through teaching progressions in young athletes.
Picture Fit discussed Low-Carb vs Low-Fat Diets for Weight Loss, presenting a research observing a low carb group vs low fat group in a 12 month intervention and the results of the intervention. Check it out
Shredded by Science discussed
- Protein Intake For Fat Loss, outlining the necessary considerations for protein intake and the recommended amount of protein intake. Check it out
- Fat Intake, The Best Amount Of Fat For Fat Loss, listing the 3 main considerations for fat intake. Check it out
Speed Training Articles
American Football International listed the 3 Best Strength Training Types for Increased Speed outlining the differences between maximum strength, explosive strength and reactive strength and how to use them.
Olympic Lifting Articles
The Bar Bend explained Why Olympic Weightlifting Makes You Better at Practically Any Sport the benefits of the Olympic Lifts on Strength & Power development, body composition, and movement quality.
Juggernaut Training Systems released Scientific Principles of Weightlifting Specificity, what specificity is and the different categories of specificity for the Olympic Lifts. Check it out
Simplifaster described The Dirty Secrets of the Single Leg Training Craze the benefits of single leg training, comparing single leg training and double leg training and why single leg training isn’t always superior to double leg training.
- a Tip: The Deadlift & The Nervous System how the Deadlift affects the nervous system and how you can manage it.
- a Tip: Deadlift – Trunk Flexion vs. Hip Flexion what’s the difference between the two and which one to use.
The Bar Bend outlined One Leg Stiff Leg Deadlift – Muscles Worked, Exercise Video, and Benefits the benefits of the exercise, muscular activation, and example variations. Check out the newly crowned World Champion in the Track Cycling Team Sprint Jeffrey Hoogland doing an SL Deadlift.
Juggernaut Training Systems released Deadlift Pillar #3 | Breathing & Bracing discussing the differences between breathing & bracing at the top vs breathing & bracing at the bottom, and the best bracing maneuver. Check it out
Highlights of the Week
At the Track Cycling World Championships 2018 in Apeldoorn (Netherlands), my athlete Shanne Braspennicx, Kyra Lamberink and Hetty van der Wouw took the silver medal.
And Jeffrey Hoogland, Harrie Lavreysen, Nils van’t Hoenderdal and Matthijs Büchli took the title, am so happy for the guys
You guys make this jersey look good 👍🏻 Champions of the world 💪🏻 Congrats @nilshoenderdaal @matthijs.buchli @harrielavreysen @jeffreyhoogland #repost @jeffreyhoogland #worldchampions #trackcycling #trackcyclists #trackcyclistsprinter #teamsprint #worldchampionships2018 #worldchampionshipstrackcycling @wkbaanapeldoorn #derkraftmeister
Check out the final from minute 04:20, amazing!