The most valuable and interesting articles in week #6 2018
Strength Training Articles
Stack listed 4 Smart Ways to Progress Your Training When You Can’t Add More Weight the title says it all, different options to progress if you can’t increase the load.
The Poliquin Group released The Lean Body Composition Checklist. How Many Can You Check Off The List? outlining the most important variables for a lean body.
The Bar Bend
- followed up on their last week’s article Chest to Bar Pull-Ups: Muscles Worked, Exercise Demo, and Benefits with a logical progression of Chest to Bar Pull-Ups in the article Chest to Bar Pull-Ups Progression for Beginners and Chest to Bar Pull-Ups Modifications/Scaled/Alternatives including progressions and regressions.
- listed Three (Non-Lifting) Books That Will Make You a Better Lifter an interesting outline and I like the explanation why and how it applies to lifting.
- showed How to Train Your Grip for Strongman very solid and common sense recommendations, not only applicable for strongman, but for every sport, where athlete need grip strength or need to use their forearms.
Elite FTS discussed
- Accommodation vs. Specificity: Battle of the Training Concepts and how to master the balancing act.
- Considerations for Strength Athletes Losing Weight maintaining strength, while losing weight isn’t an easy task, this article outlines considerations to do give yourself the best chances to achieve the task.
- How to start a Powerlifting Gym, I like the approach of starting with the end in mind (1 principle / habit from Steven Covey’s The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change), asking first, where you want to get to and then work backward. Check it out
- 7 Gym Gadgets That Actually Work 7 expert coaches reveal tools they like and use.
- The Most Important Movement Pattern an in-depth outline of the hinging or bending pattern and how to teach and train it.
Complementary Training outlined a variation of the concept of horizontal vs vertical planning and its application in the article Strength Training: Planning The Training Block – Part 3. Also, check out part 1 and part 2 of this series.
- The Essential Guide to Continuing Education for Coaches the importance of continuing education and the challenges, as well as outlining possible solutions.
- Insights on Functional Athletic Performance Training with Michael Boyle an in-depth article, discussing what functional training is, what training every athlete needs, as well as the most important advances in the strength training world in the last decade.
Juggernaut Training Systems outlined Recovery Adaptive Strategies, outlining the most important variables to improve recovery, and different active and passive recovery methods, as well as recovery gadgets you can forget. Check it out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Fitness & Power shared The Ketogenic Diet Has the Ability to Increase Your Metabolism 10 Times the Standard American Diet outlining the results of a study, that found the ketogenic diet to be superior to the standard American diet, the results can be even further improved, if combined with physical exercise.
Bach Performance listed 8 Fat Loss Mistakes To Avoid (And What To Do Instead) really good and useful advice.
Picture Fit discussed
- More vs Less Protein For Fat Loss, looking at a study with different protein supplementation and why during fat loss protocols protein intake should be elevated. Check it out
- What is CARNITINE and Is It Worth Taking? outlining the 3 different forms of carnitine and what the science says about carnitines effectiveness. Check it out
Shredded by Science shared
- Does Lifting Weights Decrease Glycogen? How Much Glucose Do We Store? how much muscle glycogen can you store and how does heavy and light resistance training affect glycogen storage. Check it out
- The Role Of Multivitamins | What Are Water-Solubleuble Vitamins? a great outline of the different vitamins, their function and which are the best sources for the different vitamins. Check it out
Olympic Lifting Articles
Juggernaut Training Systems discussed Front Rack Mobility, outlining the difficulties most people have to get an appropriate Front Rack position, as well as a variety of Front Rack mobility drills depending on your training level. Worth checking out
The Bar Bend discussed Flat Vs. Heeled Lifting Shoes for Squatting: Choosing What’s Best For You outlining the differences between the two, as well as advising which one to take.
Ben Pollack hit on the same discussion and asked When Should You Wear Squat Shoes? a nuanced discussion, who should wear Squat Shoes and who not. Definitely, do check it out
Tony Gentilcore outlined
- A Few Ways To Progress And Groove The 1-Legged RDL a step by step approach how to master the single-legged RDL.
- Programming Considerations: When To Choose Sumo Over Conventional Deadlift who should use which variation, depending on individual differences, as well as the differences in the Deadlift variation.
Starting Strength explained How to Fix Common Deadlift Technique Errors with Andy Baker, listing 4 Deadlift errors and how to avoid them. Check it out