The most valuable and interesting articles in week #29 2018
Strength Training Articles
Bodybuilding.com outlined Bench Press Biomechanics: Complete Guide to the Bench Press, from the right grip, grip width, elbow position, feet positioning, back positioning and arching and much more. Check it out
Men’s Health shared I Went to a Sleep Coach, and Here Are 4 Things I Learned an interesting article outlining the benefits of a sleep assessment on career and lifestyle choices.
Elite FTS shared
- the Best Ways To Improve Technique/Progress Without a Coach, why technical training is important, not only Powerlifting and how to train and improve your technique. Check out how to make every rep count
- Menstrual Cycle Myths With Victoria Felkar discussing important considerations for training the female athlete. Check it out
Simplifaster shared Power Lift Strength & Power Development Roundtable, Part II answering interesting questions on how strong is strong enough and how to analyze strength & power levels.
Alan Thrall shared the difficulties of judging the RPE at singles and how to approach judging the RPE. Check it out
Jeff Nippard explained How To Get Under 8% Bodyfat Naturally, discussing training and nutritional consideration, as well as different testing modalities for determining the body fat percentage. Check it out
Juggernaut Training Systems shared
- Udo Beyer | Strength History Minute, Olympic Champion in the shot put in 1976 and described as a too strong athlete, check it out
- a Hypertrophy Guide for the Abs, why abs don’t necessarily need direct training, the best exercise selection, best rep and sets ranges, training frequency and different planning considerations. Check it out
- an interview with Adam Nelson, Olympic Champion in the shot put in 2004 and silver medalist at the Olympic Games 2000 worth checking out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Stack explained Why Sled Clean Pulls Are the Best Way to Teach Young Athletes Explosive Power I really like the thought process and approach.
The PTDC shared How to Explain Weight Fluctuations to Your Clients the physiological reasons why bodyweight fluctuates and when bodyweight becomes stable so that you can make an informed decision.
Picture Fit listed 5 Tips To Avoid Muscle Loss when you go on a fat loss diet. Check it out
Bodybuilding.com released Fat Burning Zone, a concept people often overestimate and what you should do instead to burn body fat. Check it out
T-Nation shared a Tip: Squat Like a CAT, explaining Fred Hatfield’s method of compensatory acceleration training, which emphasizes the acceleration throughout the entire movement. Check out how this could look
Once the loads are lighter a possible variation is to use accommodating resistance training to avoid the bar flying off your shoulders.
Olympic Lifting Articles
The Bar Bend outlined Squat Jerk Ultimate Guide (and Why It’s Not Right for Everyone), what the Squat Jerk is, how to do it, and different Squat Jerk variations. I also like the fact the nuanced discussion of what Jerk variation is right for which athlete. Check out a part of the discussion
Zack Telander explained how to use the cue of intent ‘Pull from the Toes’ can help to keep the bar closer to you during the Olympic Lifts. Check it out