We have searched the web for the most valuable and interesting articles of week #29 2017
Strength Training Articles
Broscience outlined Top 8 Exercises You Need To Master For Massive Muscle Growth not only the most basic strength lifts but also if you take a closer look at the exercise selection, you can see it’s basically covering all fundamental movements, bending, squatting, pushing, pulling and lunging.
- Also, check out the in-depth article about fundamental movements
Want more about fundamental movements? Check out Buff Dudes entertaining video on what they call the ‘Big Five’, Deadlift, Squat, Bench Press, Pull Ups and Overhead Press. Check it out
Bodybuilding.com explained The One Thing You Need To Do To Boost Your Big Lifts having a plan, executing the plan and documenting the plan.
Train Heroic described Use Cluster Sets For Better Movement And A Fresh Training Stimulus what Cluster Sets are and the rationale behind Cluster Sets. Check out an applied example of Cluster Sets from our training last week, Track Cyclist Jeffrey Hoogland (Olympian 2016, Runner-up at World Champs 2016 & 2017, European Champ 2015) performing a Cluster Set of Power Cleans, 2 reps followed by 20 sec rest, followed by another 2 reps
- Priorities for the Powerlifter and Bodybuilder — Upper Body Mobility and Stability preventative mobility drills and stability drills for the upper body.
- How To Approach Warm-Up Weights a great article, explaining how to intentionally use the warm up sets, rather than just going through the motions.
- How to Keep Good Form for Every Rep, the importance of cues and checklists, check out the video
Starting Strength discussed
- How to pick stuff up, simple, straightforward, common sense and a good understanding of biomechanics, check out the video
- Why being sore doesn’t mean you’re getting stronger (Audio Only) the underlying physiology of soreness and a great outline, why it is not necessarily a prerequisite for gaining strength or muscle mass, check out the video/audio only below
Do you want abs? PictureFit discussed Are Abs Made in the Kitchen? and outlining what you need to do to get your abs developed and visible, check out the video
The Strength Sensei shared Mass That Works – Build Some Functional Hypertrophy a great explanation what functional hypertrophy is and how to train for functional hypertrophy.
Speed Training Articles
Speed Endurance shared Sprinting: 10 Research Articles for Effective Sprint Training [Part 18] a collection of scientific articles all about speed and sprinting.
Back Squat and Front Squat Articles
Stack explained Why Squatting With Your Knees Past Your Toes is Safe when it’s safe, that the knees go past the toes and when not.
Complementary Training shared How To Squat? The Best Squat Tutorial On YouTube With Dr. Mike Zourdos, a very detailed tutorial with a lot of attention to detail (the only point for improvement, the technical execution of the different squat variations could have been a bit better), check it out
Olympic Lifting Articles
Catalystathletics dissected the triple extension during the Olympic Lifts in the article Leg Drive: Elevation & Direction for the Snatch & Clean
Highlights of the week
My athletes are enjoying great success at the European Championships Track Cycling (U-23), congrats to
Kyra Lamberink and Hetty van der Wouw for taking the gold medal at the team sprint
Harrie Lavreysen and Hetty van der Wouw European Champion in the Keirin event
Harrie Lavreysen runner-up in the sprint
Hetty van der Wouw for the bronze medal in the individual sprint
Steffie van der Peet bronze medal in the sprint event