We have searched the web for the most valuable and interesting articles of week #23 2017
Strength Training Articles
- The 10 Laws Of Muscle Building an outline for everyone who wants to gain muscle mass.
- High Reps, Low Reps? Which Rep Scheme Is Best? discussing the best rep scheme depending on your training goal.
PictureFit asked and answered Fish Oil: Worth Taking? a really good, well researched in-depth answer, check it out
Cycling Weekly explained How to train like a sprinter a really good overview of how track cyclists train, also check out the tutorial of my colleague Martin Evan, former GB Cycling, now FA on teaching the fundamental movement patterns, squat, hinge, lunge, push and pull
Bonvec Strength explained The Bench Press Arch: 4 Reasons Why You Should Use It outlining good and solid rationale for arching during the bench press.
- 3 Strength Training Methods to Help You Reach Your Speed Potential the importance of mechanics, strength, elasticity, and stiffness.
- Help Your Body Recover With This Weekly Plan a structured approach to recovery and recuperation.
EliteFTS explained The Need for Flexibility in Exercise Selection and Progression and how strength coaches especially strength coaches training athletes need to be flexible and adaptable in their programming as well as day to day training delivery.
- discussed Selecting and Progressing Weights, answering the question how to select the right weight and what to consider in the process of progressing the weights, check out the video
- shared What’s Your Question? #8 discussing how to train after a Powerlifting meet, should you train the Clean & Jerk or should you separate the Clean and Jerk in training, set and reps for accessory work, how to structure an overreaching week, Deadlift strength and correlation to Olympic Lifts, check out the video
Power Training Articles
Stack explained how to get more powerful with Velocity-Based Training: Jump Higher, Run Faster, Get Stronger, But Lift Lighter a truly great and detailed piece on VBT.
Plyometric Training Articles
- how to Add Inches to Your Vertical Jump With This Offseason Plan 3 simple and critical elements to jump higher.
- 3 Box Jump Variations That Build Explosive Power whilst the Box Jump is a controversial plyometric training exercise, it’s less the exercise in itself, much rather the execution. This article outlines proper execution of the Box Jump and useful Box Jump variations.
Back Squat and Front Squat Articles
Bodybuilding.com explained How To Squat: Proper Techniques For A Perfect Squat an outline how to perform a squat.
Mens XP listed 4 Tips That Will Help You Become A Formidable Squatter From A ‘Bro-Squatter’ how the average gym goer can learn a proper free weight Squat.
Olympic Lifting Articles
Train Heroic explained How To Program Olympic Lifts For Field Athletes an in-depth piece on Olympic lifting for athletes, covering rationale, programming, training frequency, transfer to sports performance, safety measures and considerations and the coaching aspect.
Catalystathletics explained Why Your Pulls Feel Ten Times Heavier Than Your Lifts how to mentally approach your big lifts.
- shared Long De Cheng Clean & Jerks 3 Times His Bodyweight an impressive feat of strength, check it out
- The Snatch Pull – Technique and Training Considerations the rationale for the Snatch Pull, how to execute it and planning considerations.
The Barbell Physio listed Top Five Core Moves To Improve Olympic Weightlifting whilst I am not too sure about the exercise selection, I do lie the approach of finding the appropriate exercise depending on the deficiency you want to address.
Juggernaut Training Systems shared Weightlifting Technique Triad, JTS approach to evaluate Weightlifting technique and spotting the right areas for improvement, check it out
Bodybuilding.com shared 2 Easy Ways to Deadlift More with Silent Mike & Alan Thrall a good video tutorial on getting into the right start position as a basis for a successful Deadlift, check it out
The Bar Bend outlined
- 5 Benefits of the Romanian Deadlift on muscle growth, Olympic weightlifting, regular deadlifting and injury prevention.
- Snatch Grip Romanian Deadlifts – Ultimate Guide and Muscles Worked why you should do them and the muscular activation.
Highlight of the week
My daughter successfully getting her level 2 swim diploma, knowing she went to quite a bit of struggle to get it
I do like Mark Rippetoe’s explanation of The Mathematical Nature of Strength Training, following Leonardo Da Vinci’s principle ‘Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication’ an audio only explanation of the simplicity of strength training (please don’t confuse simple with easy), check it out