The most valuable and interesting articles in week #19 2018
Strength Training Articles
Picture Fit listed 3 Signs Your Workout Plan Isn’t Working (Beginner’s Guide), reasons why your program might not work for you and what you can do against it. Check it out
Dr. John Rusin shared The Perfect Training System To Get Brutally Strong how to apply the Westside Barbell method to increase your strength levels.
Elite FTS shared another elitefts Core Values — Strength, what strength is, why it is a core value and how you can see this core value in action. Check it out
The Bar Bend explained
- the Klokov Press – Muscles Worked, Exercise Demo, and Benefits, if you ask yourself what a Klokov Press is, this is what I basically asked myself, it’s a behind the neck press with a wide grip / snatch grip. Check out the video
The article definitely does a good job in outlining the unique benefits of this exercise and who can benefit from it.
- that the two most important variables for your training are volume and intensity for strength gains by presenting a Study: Volume & Intensity, Not Frequency, Weigh Heaviest for Maximal Strength Gains
Bodybuilding named the 3 Reasons Why You Should Eliminate Rest Days take it with a grain of salt, I probably won’t align with all ideas, however, challenging one’s own beliefs and thought-processes is never a bad thing. Check it out
Eric Cressey listed 5 Important Lessons on Balance Training a definitely great read and explanation of balance vs stability and the relation between static balance and dynamic balance. I wish I had this information when I was a young S & C coaches developing in a time, where standing on one leg one unstable surface and reaches in different planes were told to be the most important skills for every athlete to master before doing anything else.
Shrugged Collective shared The Bledsoe Show — Max Shank: Athleticism Makes Life Easier, what athleticism is, and why it makes your life easier. Check it out
The Bar Bend followed up on the posts of last week about what glycogen is and the symptoms of glycogen depletion with an outline how Intermittent Fasting affects Glycogen Depletion
Breaking Muscle discussed
- Abstaining From Moderation a thought-provoking piece on different dieting strategies.
- The Benefits And Risks Of Intermittent Fasting a good outline what intermittent fasting is, what it can do for you and how to effectively apply it.
Power Training Articles
Speed Training Articles
- the role of Eccentric Training for the Speed-Power Athlete with Angus Ross what eccentric training does and how it can help the speed and power athlete, as well as programming and periodization options.
- the difference between acceleration, maximum speed and an in-depth outline of sprinting mechanics in the article Taking an Acceleration-Based Approach to Performance and Return to Play
Olympic Lifting Articles
- Push Through the Pull Under: Snatch & Clean Timing how to effectively time and execute the transition of the upward movement and downward movement of the body. Great read, complex topic simplified.
- the importance of getting quickly under the bar during the Snatch and the Clean & Jerk in the article Ask Greg: Speed Under The Bar & Receiving Depth
Zach Telander outlined how to Start Strong (Finding the proper posture from the start), inspired by the article from Catalystathletics shared in last week’s article recommendation about Creating the Optimal Back Arch in Snatch & Clean following up with some practical examples of Olympic Weightlifters and how they create a strong back position to enable them to lift the highest loads. Check it out
Omar Issuf showed The BEST Deadlift Advice From A World Record Deadlifter (Ft. Calgary Barbell) why a slow pull from the ground will result in a bigger Deadlift. Check it out