The most valuable and interesting articles in week #17 2018
Strength Training Articles
The Bar Bend outlined Barbell Shoulder Press & Military Press – Muscles Worked, Benefits, and Sport Considerations the unique benefits of the Shoulder Press / Military Press, the correct Shoulder Press / Military Press technique and who benefits most from the exercise.
Elite FTS discussed
- Mindset: The Difference Between Success and Failure what mindset is, how it influences you and how to channel your mindset to your benefit
- What Is Focus? outlining what focus is and how it can help
- and followed up with Elitefts Core Values — Focus check out Dave Tate’s outline of micro-focus and macro-focus, and why it became the Elite FTS core value
Simplifaster asked Do Your Athletes Have an Explosive Strength Deficit? what the dynamic strength index (DSI) is, how to assess the DSI and how to use the DSI.
Stack explained how to Use Velocity-Based Training to Get More Out of Your Athlete Assessments what VBT (velocity-based training) is, how to use VBT in assessments and appropriate exercise selection for VBT testing.
Starting Strength explained the importance of Strength for the Prevention of Injuries, in a true Rippetoe style, whether you like it or not, however, you can’t argue with the content and common-sense. Check out the audio
Diet breaks as a help to weight loss? It sounds counter-intuitive, however, Picture Fit looked at the research behind Diet Breaks: Helps You Lose Weight? with interesting findings. Check it out
Power Training Articles
Stack explained how to Tweak Your Strength Training to Become a More Reactive, Explosive Athlete listing 3 different power training methods for enhanced power expression.
Olympic Lifting Articles
- The Hook Grip: Why & How to Do It Correctly what the Hook Grip is, why it matters and how to do it.
- the importance of bodyweight for Olympic Weightlifters depending on their ambition level in the article Ask Greg: How Important is Bodyweight for Weightlifting?
Zach Tealander explained how to Fix Your Feet! in the start position of the Clean and Snatch, discussing different start positions, and which start positions work for which athlete and corrective exercises to fix your footwork. Check it out
Juggernaut Training Systems explained Scientific Principles of Weightlifting | Individual Differences, outlining the relative importance of inter-individual (differences between taller vs smaller lifters, heavier vs lighter lifters, male vs female lifters, technical proficiency and lifestyle) and intra-individual differences (mainly age and training age). Check it out
The Bar Bend shared
- the Box Squat – Muscles Worked, Exercise Technique, and Benefits applications of the Box Squat and benefits for different athletes.
- the Reverse Band Box Squat – Muscles Worked and Benefits what the reverse banded squat is, how to execute it and what it can do for you.
Jeff Nippard discussed the ever-present question Should The Knees Go Past the Toes in the Squat? outlining the origination of the possible idea, and engaging into a more nuanced discussion of knee positioning in the squat movement and looking at the main principles of proper squat mechanics. Check it out
T-Nation shared a Tip: Landmine Sumo Deadlift because the weight is literally between your legs and you don’t have to get it past your knees, it’s a great exercise to learn the movement pattern of the Deadlift. Check it out
Alan Thrall outlined an effective Deadlift cue ‘Chest Up, Hip Up’ to help you to get in the right start position and avoid the common flaw of dropping the hip. Check it out
Juggernaut Training Systems shared Sumo Pillar #4 | Patience Off the Floor a follow-up on last week’s post Sumo Pillar #3 | Tightness in the Start Position, how to remain patient in the start as a critical factor in the Sumo Deadlift, and the right muscular sequencing pattern for a successful Sumo Deadlift. Check it out