The most valuable and interesting articles in week #11 2018
Strength Training Articles
- Ask The Super Strong Guy: How Do I Find My Best Bench-Press Grip? the differences between a wide-grip vs a close-grip, and which one is better, as well as an interesting and simple measurement to find your ideal bench press grip. Check out the video for this simple measurement
- 11 Popular Fitness Myths Debunked! with Dr. Jose Antonio, a mix of popular fitness myths surrounding nutritional topics (protein, supplements, nutrient timing, artificial sweeteners, caffeine supplementation) and a few training myths (strength training will make women bulk, how do you develop sore muscles and how to solve it) and the primary drivers for fat loss. Check it out
Breaking Muscle explained
- The Importance Of Mastering The Arch And Hollow For Your Core the benefits of basic gymnastic skills, like arching and hollowing that can improve your sports performance.
- how to manage your own expectations, and/or the expectation of your clients, by focussing on improvement, rather than being perfect in the article Better To Be Better Than Perfect
- The Athlete’s Toolbox: The Lost Art Of Breathing the importance of correct breathing patterns, how breathing can help to improve performance and 4 breathing techniques from professional athletes.
Starting Strength discussed the relation between Back Pain and Back Strength, whether you like Rippetoe or not, he does have a good point. Check out this audio only
The Bar Bend explained
- 3 Benefits of Reverse Hyperextensions, what Reverse Hypers can do for you. We use them all the time.
- how to do Reverse Hyperextension at Home/Without Machine a good selection of different variations, I like this one especially, I have never seen it, but I think it’s valuable (only with less swinging), check it out
The PTDC revealed The Myth of Fat-Burning Workouts: How the Body Fights Back, and What That Means for Trainers and Clients explaining how smart our body is and you need to find smart ways to achieve long-term fat loss success.
Picture Fit listed 5 Underrated Fitness Channels You Need to Watch, a few of those I have featured over here a few times, but some other interesting channels, that can be interesting, depending on what you are looking for. Check it out
Business Insider outlined why Push-Ups on your knees will never get you to a full Push-Up and what you can do instead in the article A personal trainer says there are 3 secrets to the perfect push-up — and using your knees will never get you there I have to agree with the approach, also check out the video tutorial showing the exercise progressions to a full Push-Up
BoxRox listed 5 Barbell Strength Training Programs to Build Muscle and Improve Performance including a description of the program and who it is for.
The Barbell Shrugged Podcast discussed Talking Competing, Coaching and Running a Gym with Ryan Fischer, a ‘tumbler’ telling his life story of falling down and always getting back up. Check it out
Youth Strength Training Articles
Power Athlete HQ answered What The Science Says: Youth Resistance Training a great overview of what youth resistance training is, why it matters, the differences between genders and the practical application of training age.
Simplifaster shared Long-Term Athlete Development and Team Sports the application of a development plan for team sports, the challenges and shortcomings and the most important considerations for an effective development process.
Alan Thrall answered “How Many Calories Should I Consume?” with Jordan Feigenbaum from Barbell Medicine, very simple, no-nonsense and applicable advise. Check it out
Plyometric Training Articles
Stack outlined that different coaching cues lead to different outcomes in the article Study Reveals The Best Coaching Cue To Use For Drop Jumps find a short summary in the video
However, the results need to be taken with a grain of salt, as they essentially compare apples with oranges, hence they compare 2 different style of jumps, therefore the results are likely to be different, not because of the cue.
Check out my interview with Dr. Jeremy Sheppard, where we discuss different types of Drop Jumps, like the Bounce Drop Jump and Counter-Movement Drop Jump, as they are outlined by Dr. Maarten Bobbert from the University of Amsterdam.
Speed Training Articles
Stack listed 3 Keys for Developing a Fast First Step in Basketball simple skills to master, to improve your first step.
Olympic Lifting Articles
- Weightlifting Strategies for Moving From Roadblock Stage to Breakthrough Stage showing the non-linear progress you will make in your career, not only for Olympic Weightlifters but also for athletes of any sport.
- Ask Greg: Programming The Last Weeks Before a Meet outlining the training session you should do leading up to a competition.
The Bar Bend listed 4 Key Tips for College Weightlifters to Succeed and Grow the essentials of mastering the balancing act between studying and lifting, serious lifting.
BoxRox shared a guide to Clean & Jerk from Rehband, check out
The Bar Bend listed 3 accessory exercises to improve you Squat in the article Use These 3 Squat Variations to Build Stronger Legs
Alan Thrall asked to Stop Squatting With Thoracic Flexion – Leah Lutz from Barbell Medicine, demonstrating a common technical flaw, especially for the Low Bar Back Squat and how to fix it, check it out
Juggernaut Training Systems shared Deadlift Pillar #4 | From the Floor, all about initiating the lift off the ground, discussing foot pressure, lifting speed of the floor, shoulder and hip alignment and the correct head position. Check it out